• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
The Field Jacket does indeed feel a bit less to touch, but it's been my go-to pair lately The Advancer feature can be practical for ventilation or manipulating fit.

The Flight Jacket was also good, but strictly for cycling. A Radar with the Advancer feature is a bit weird given that it's a bottomless frame design.

I guess Oakley designed this Radar with a taller lens and then during some testing found out that the taller lens was fogging up easily when using it for cycling. So the Advancer was placed to have the ability to prevent the lens from fogging up. So now we have this new model coming up. We would probably never know if this scenario was the case but it seems to make sense to me.

I guess Oakley designed this Radar with a taller lens and then during some testing found out that the taller lens was fogging up easily when using it for cycling. So the Advancer was placed to have the ability to prevent the lens from fogging up. So now we have this new model coming up. We would probably never know if this scenario was the case but it seems to make sense to me.

Actually that was part of their reasoning (marketing shpiel) when they cam out with the Radar EV. Taller lens with vents to prevent fogging.

Actually that was part of their reasoning (marketing shpiel) when they cam out with the Radar EV. Taller lens with vents to prevent fogging.

I wasn’t aware of that reasoning/marketing for the Radar EV. Now I understand your reply about the advancer being in this design, and indeed the advancer does make less sense now I know this.

I wasn’t aware of that reasoning/marketing for the Radar EV. Now I understand your reply about the advancer being in this design, and indeed the advancer does make less sense now I know this.

The EV if I recall correctly was meant to stand for Extended View or something like that. Since it gave better visibility if you were riding in the drops and had to look up.

If I recall correctly, the EV design itself was only in respect to the extended view.

The vents have existed in sport pairs for much longer. They're just a given, as vents.

Now vents + Advancer sounds redundant, but I'm thinking enough people are finding ventilation to be an issue with the Radar (EV) series. I personally found it susceptible to fog up at times, like the Jawbreaker.

The only thing that I'm hung up on is why the Field Jacket was designed with no vents. Also seems to work as well/better in this area in my experience.

If I recall correctly, the EV design itself was only in respect to the extended view.

The vents have existed in sport pairs for much longer. They're just a given, as vents.

Now vents + Advancer sounds redundant, but I'm thinking enough people are finding ventilation to be an issue with the Radar (EV) series. I personally found it susceptible to fog up at times, like the Jawbreaker.

The only thing that I'm hung up on is why the Field Jacket was designed with no vents. Also seems to work as well/better in this area in my experience.

Good points. I had to jog my memory a bit but found one of the original articles from when the Radar EV came out (and which is where most of my recollection about the initial marketing came). Some excerpts here:

"Launched in conjunction with the all-new Jawbreaker, the Radar EV is an evolution of the original Radar. Standing for ‘Expanded view’, the EVs share one of the Jawbreaker’s key features in a raised lens (approx. 5mm) at the top of the frame, providing better vision in the usual ‘head down’ position of cycling. (This raised frame is different to Oakley's Radarlock XL, which achieved greater field of vision by extending the nose piece.) On top of this, ventilation has been improved, with the port and channeling at the arms brought forward and refined in conjunction with the new vented lens. ... The old Oakley Radar glasses feature an ‘O’ channel in their arms; for the EVs, this has been replaced with a more forward vent port that leads to effective channels on each arm – helping to direct airflow down past your temples and helmet straps. Adding to this is the vented lens. This is an option with the original Radar Path lens, but the raised EV lens means these small ports are more inline with your brow instead of under. Along with wicking sweat at the brow, these certainly contribute to the complete lack of fogging experienced."

Im a huge fan of the way the pitch lenses look on the radar ev. The path doesnt fit my face well. The gap between the bottom of the lens and my cheeks looks awkward. The pitch eliminates the gap and looks more full. My question is, will these lenses fit the current Radar EV frame? Because I love the look of this cut.