• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Radar Range - Lens Replacement

TheIrons84

Oakley Beginner
I bought a set of Radar Range glasses in 2008 from Oakley Custom. They have the black Iridium polarized lens. In 2011 After three years of use, the iridium coating had began to flake off. I sent them back and had the lens replaced. I'm not sure if I got some sort of warranty work or what, but I do remember sending back the original box upc and receipt and other stuff. It cost me around $60.

The same thing is happening again, and I don't want to go down this road again. On top of that, They want $130 for a lens now. I just don't want to buy another lens that is going to start flaking again, but I can't get it in just a regular polarized lens WITHOUT the coating.

Another slight irritation is that the SI M frame 2.0 and 3.0 ballistic glasses are not offered with polarized lenses. I understand why, but I wish they were..I'd jump all over them.

This dilemma has left me looking at several other options, including aftermarket lenses from folks like revant optics and others. Only problem then is that nobody offers lenses in the range size. I see path and pitch on occasion, but no range.

I'd really like to stay with Oakley, but my options are running slim. I've been considering going with the ESS crosshair, simply because of it's safety and that it is about half the price of Oakley with a better warranty.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Stay away from 3rd party lenses. They just aren't as good.

If I were you i'd pay the $130 especially if you're keen on safety.

How do you clean/store your lenses?

Understood about staying away from third party lenses.

I clean with a microfiber cloth..nothing else.

They stay in my vehicle most of the time. I've noticed that if I carry them everywhere, they catch more abuse. That was the case for the first few years of ownership. Since I had the lens replaced the first time, I just started leaving them in a safe place in my vehicle. I have 20% tint on the windows, and they are kept out of the sun. Still, Oakley thinks the heat from being in the car is contributing to the coating flaking off.

Regardless, as I stated before, I don't want to buy another lens with the same coating, but it seems that is the only way I can get polarization. There is simply nothing offered that is polarized without a coating.

Staying in ur vehicle is part of the problem. Extreme heat or cold breaks down the coating

Latest Posts

Back