• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Radar Vs. Duncan Sport Review (Picture Heavy)

s3sunruh

Oakley Expert
Casper WY
Fox Duncan Sport vs. Oakley Radar Range

So I went ahead and put these two glasses against each other in case anyone was interested! Very easy to see similarities between the two glasses. They are both made by Oakley, just someone decided to take the "O" off the side and put a silly fox head there. They are both made of O matter and both have fantastic HDO optics as well as a Hydrophobic coating on the lens.

To start, we get the cases. They are made of the same material on the outside, and both can take a beating. I personally like the color of the fox case more though.

tumblr_mirgvnQjwQ1rbptugo1_1280.jpg

You get to the inside of each case and that's where things start to change. The inside of the Fox case has a more felt feel to it, it's also roomier to accommodate the different sized frame. The Oakley case is fitted rather tightly for the Radar here. Both have spare lens slots in case you have some extras to take along.

tumblr_mirgvnQjwQ1rbptugo2_1280.jpg

This is probably the biggest disappointment from the Fox glasses. I hate hate hate the bag they come with. It's not the same material that Oakley uses. It's still good at what it needs to do, but I don't think I'll be using it to clean the lenses. It's not as fine of a fabric by any means.

tumblr_mirgvnQjwQ1rbptugo3_1280.jpg

Now we get to the top view. I don't have a straight frame radar, but I have a feeling the Duncan Sport is close to that in fit. The Oakley radar for me fits a bit tighter, and has more grip from the earsocks.

tumblr_mirgvnQjwQ1rbptugo4_1280.jpg

From the front, it's obvious that the Radar Range has a more aggressive sporting look to it. It also has more lens below the nose piece, but the Duncan Sport has more lens above the nose piece. So unfortunately, this means Lenses are not compatible with each other.

tumblr_mirgvnQjwQ1rbptugo5_1280.jpg

From the top with legs closed, the Radar doesn't close as tight, but the hinges hold it better. The Duncan Sport has very loose hinges even though it's brand new. Even though it's an Oakley product, it's not manufactured to the same degree as Oakley branded glasses are.

tumblr_mirgw8Lmt11rbptugo4_1280.jpg

This shows the nose pieces. Both are made to have an easy lens replace system. The Radar (bottom) is much easier to remove though. There isn't as much plastic on the top of the nose piece holding the lens in place. It's just mainly on the sides. The Duncan Sport (top) is a b*tch to remove the lenses from. There is a lot more material holding the lens in place from the nose piece.

tumblr_mirgw8Lmt11rbptugo5_1280.jpg

Showing the difference in lens size (the Duncan lens is actually a lot wider than the radar lens)

tumblr_mirgw8Lmt11rbptugo6_1280.jpg

Let's look at each pair up close now.

The Duncan Sport:

I could have designed this with a ruler... but I do like it still. It's simple and understated. Definitely made more for a mass audience.
tumblr_mirgvnQjwQ1rbptugo6_1280.jpg

SKU#
tumblr_mirgvnQjwQ1rbptugo9_1280.jpg

Same kind of model molding that Oakley uses
tumblr_mirgvnQjwQ1rbptugo10_1280.jpg

Made in USA
tumblr_mirgw8Lmt11rbptugo2_1280.jpg

The Radar Range

I know we've all seen a Radar here, but here's the aggressive yet elegant styling that we have come to know and love.
tumblr_mirgvnQjwQ1rbptugo7_1280.jpg

SKU#
tumblr_mirgvnQjwQ1rbptugo8_1280.jpg

Model Title (on the earsock instead of inside the frame)
tumblr_mirgw8Lmt11rbptugo1_1280.jpg

Made in USA (also on earsock instead of inside the frame)
tumblr_mirgw8Lmt11rbptugo3_1280.jpg

And there you have it! The Duncan Sport is a nice frame. To me though, the Radar is still a nicer pair of glasses to own, but I am very happy to have both in my collection. Hope this helps someone down the road if they have any questions about either pair.

Back