• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Radar Vs Radarlock Differences?

BDHO

Oakley Enthusiast
Hi.
I just got a pair of Radar pitch in blue night camo from the oakley vault.
My pair came with basic Grey lens. Before I invest in purchasing more interesting lens colors,
Is the radar lock a real upgrade? It seem like the normal radar allows quick lens switching.
Does the lens get scratched during switching with original radar?

Also, what is the straight stem version?

The radarlock does make switching lenses easier and faster. Compared to the radar you have to apply quite a bit of pressure on the nosepad to get it off the lens and then take both sides out from the frame. The radarlock nosepad seems to take less pressure to release it from the lens and one side of the lens is already released from the frame when you use the switchlock technology. I consider the radarlock an upgrade from the radar.

The radar lenses can be scratched easier during the switching process due to the amount of force need to get them on and off the frame. Mostly the scratches will be hidden though.

People have argued the Radar is quicker to swap. But like thisguy said it's a bit crude. It does provoke chipping on some frame finishes.

Where the Radarlock also functionally excels is that it puts less stress on the lens, including when worn because there's a bit of leeway in the frame/lens interface.

Straight stem means the earstem is straight. Regular stem has an outward protrusion at the temples. The straight option was supposedly for a tighter fit, but that kinda goes against the whole 3-point fit idea. I guess it's better for people who like to wear sunglasses under motorcycle helmets.

Straight stem means the earstem is straight. Regular stem has an outward protrusion at the temples. The straight option was supposedly for a tighter fit, but that kinda goes against the whole 3-point fit idea. I guess it's better for people who like to wear sunglasses under motorcycle helmets.
The Radar's temples are made to fit outside of helmet straps on a bike. It doesn't work well when you're wearing a hat, or trying to wear them inside of something like a helmet.

The old Gen2 M Frames had a specific straight stem version that was sold as the "Baseball" model for this reason. And the newer M Frames are being made in straight stem as the 2.0 and 3.0 for military to use with helmets, optics, and headphones/hearing protection.

Is it reasonable to expect Oakley to be selling out most of the radar lens inventory on the vault soon?

Is it reasonable to expect Oakley to be selling out most of the radar lens inventory on the vault soon?
They already didn't keep the Range very well stocked, and there are Pitch and Path on there right now. Only one tint each right now, but I recall there being more at one point.

I think I already know the answer to this, but correct me if I'm wrong: Radar Frames and RadarLock Frames CANNOT share lenses, correct ??

**using the search function to find my answers, so don't ruin me for bumping a 10 month old thread lol**

I think I already know the answer to this, but correct me if I'm wrong: Radar Frames and RadarLock Frames CANNOT share lenses, correct ??

**using the search function to find my answers, so don't ruin me for bumping a 10 month old thread lol**
Yes and no. There is some fudging to make things fit, but in reality they're incompatible.

Yes and no. There is some fudging to make things fit, but in reality they're incompatible.
thanks for the response...

I'm not comfortable enough to "fudge" with a $240+ set of Radars to make lenses fit HAHA !!!!

stuck in between a rock and a hard place right now...

I originally wanted an all white set of radars, but then I got thinking why not just get the all silver set instead ???

here's the problem - you can't order silver Radar frames through Vault website as of the moment - not sure why...

so, if I go with the Silver RadarLocks, I won't be able to take advantage of the 3 other lenses I got for my Radars :(

#firstworldproblems

Back