• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Radarlock

simon hughes

Oakley Beginner
I have just looked at the Radarlock customizer and the choice lenses has been reduced alot from what is used to be. Does anyone know if this is a sign of the radarlock being discontinued? Also stock pitch lens radarlocks have all but gone?

The Radar EVs look as if they are set to take over the Radarlock line. There were several problems with sporting people (me included) with the radarlocks. High prices and weaknesess in the locking system made it less popular. However, the original radars are excellent, and although discontinued have soldiered on with my oakleys. My Radarlock is fine (and I like them a lot), but I know many who have had problems with the locking mechanism (BTW, the locking machanism makes no difference in time in lens swapping. As a triathlete and marathon runner, I swap my lenses of my standard Radars and EVs as fast as my Radarlocks).
Supply chain issues could happen due to some of production being moved to foreign countries
John

either that or lens inventory supply chain issues

IIRC the Radarlock's OCP supply dipped around the time of the Jawbreaker release and that was raising an eyebrow. Same story with the Straight Jacket, but that's slowly going.

There's still a pretty big collection in the catalog for the Radarlock, but it has narrowed to mostly recent releases and special collections. With the general obsolescence of the Radarlock, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the beginning of the end.

I'd be interested to see sales figures. I personally find the radarlock easier to change lenses, although the time difference between that and the radar is a matter of seconds. I don't see Oakley discontinuing it though because it allows them to charge a higher price and the marketing of switchlock probably induces people to buy replacement lenses that they might not do otherwise.
Also, they probably need a new product to market for the olympics and a radarlock EV would be the perfect fit (as they did with the original radarlock)

I'd be interested to see sales figures. I personally find the radarlock easier to change lenses, although the time difference between that and the radar is a matter of seconds. I don't see Oakley discontinuing it though because it allows them to charge a higher price and the marketing of switchlock probably induces people to buy replacement lenses that they might not do otherwise.
Also, they probably need a new product to market for the olympics and a radarlock EV would be the perfect fit (as they did with the original radarlock)

I think a lot of people are starting see through that practice, as well as how the lenses weren't directly interchangeable with the original Radar. It was like a forced makeover more than upgrade since the Radar had been out for 5 years. Given how the Split and Fast Jackets got phased out, I doubt Switchlock was all that marketable. Even now, athletes will still turn to the original Radar.

An EV 'lock would be hard to justify imo. If it did happen, I'd think it'd come later in attempt to freshen up the line like the Radarlock tried. I expect Oakley to just create exclusive colorways for the Olympics this time around, but I'd love to be wrong so I have something to be excited about.

I have only just bought a second pair Radarlocks which leaves me now feeling a bit miffed, I also have 5 different lenses between both pairs which adds insult to injury.

I have had an email from Oakley saying the Radarlocks are not being discontinued, but US oakley are low on their stock of lenses which is due to high demand. I wouldn't take it as gospel but that's what they said
Please don't discontinue Radarlocks... I have 3 and hoping to get more.

I have had an email from Oakley saying the Radarlocks are not being discontinued, but US oakley are low on their stock of lenses which is due to high demand. I wouldn't take it as gospel but that's what they said

Great news! Time to source for them in ebay.

Back