• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rayban Carbon Blade. The Original?

Kiwi

Oakley Expert
WA
I ran into some ray ban sunglasses that looked a lot like carbon blades. I didn't purchase them but here's an example online:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/301182885489?nav=SEARCH

Rimless style, ultra thin and light weight arms, and straight stems. Looks like the raybans retailed for $239. I saw them at a store for $80. Of course the oakleys have more refined design, have superior lenses and might be lighter but is all that worth $400? We all know that rayban and oakley are own by the same company. Looks like the way they see it, if it fails under one brand they could always market it under another.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade about the Caron blades since there have been some positive feedback on them. I just wanted to get to the bottom of this. If anyone has both pairs, some side by side pictures would be very helpful.

Rayban 8305 and Oakley carbon blade are so similar besides minor changes. IMO the carbon blades are just recycled and rebranded ray bans. Or I call them the carbon copy.

Rayban 8305 and Oakley carbon blade are so similar besides minor changes. IMO the carbon blades are just recycled and rebranded ray bans. Or I call them the carbon copy.
It's true I saw some the other day. Other than some minor differences like hammer stems and the obvious lens technology they're "brothers"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401310104.682724.jpg

As much as I'm not a fan of the CB's, I'd give the benefit of the doubt it only appears similar but was developed from scratch by Oakley. The lens attachment and half frame setups are probably the only smart ways to do things right now. I've read how replacing a C6 lens can make one feel uneasy, and I know Blac has to have a split end to create a full frame look.

I do think Oakley didn't take enough measures to distinguish the CB though. should've implemented a switchlock mech, and replaceable unobtanium nosebombs+ear socks. I assume that could've driven prices higher and they generally wanted to appeal to the widest audience, but such additions could've made it a truly elite pair.

They might look kinda similar online... But hold both in your hand and you'll instantly see there's no comparison.

Back