• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

re: Oakley Chrome Frogskins (allegedly from HQ) & Oakley Training Kit

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
If any of you have the Training Kit and the USB stick, could you be so kind as to upload the USB contents somewhere I can access, please?!

I've been recently purchasing some stuff from an ex Oakley director of sales in Adelaide, Australia and scored a Training Tool Kit with UV Flashlight and a pair of Chrome Frogskins which allegedly was given to him by a painter at Oakley HQ who was apparently experimenting with different chrome finishes.

I don't have any reason to disbelieve him as he has a knowledge of products, has photos from visits and recounts numerous interesting anecdotes about the company itself from the time he was working there.

Having said that, of course, it's near impossible to prove where these sunglasses came from and if I were to try to sell them, no doubt, any prospective buyer would want undeniable proof, which I cannot provide. In anywise, I'd be reluctant to part with them unless I got a very good offer, because I do believe they are legit (in my opinion, source is trustworthy!!).

I'd like to give a shout out to @SOULfulFROG who I wrote to re: possible authenticity and he (like many others in this forum) was unbelievably approachable, knowledgeable and helpful (like many others in this forum). Thanks for making this a really incredible community to be part of.

The photos of the frogskins also show the blemishes on the back which may or may not help to add weight to authenticity. Of course, it might be as a result of lenses being replaced or usage etc.

re: the Training Kit.
I have never even heard of it before, but I thought it was pretty cool, and have taken some shots to share with you. If any of you have more info, write in the comments below! I'd be interested. Thanks!

The set comes with a flathead screwdriver, a UV light (to simulate the photochromic lenses change during bright sunlight), a sharpie texta (!!), cleaning spray, a factory Oakley MF cloth, a small packet of ballbearings (that are fired at lenses), a steel spike which can be used to demonstrate strength of lenses (by dropping onto lenses), demo CDs and 3 containers filled with granules of the lens materials. One piece seems to be missing (see first picture). I have no idea what that was for.

Chrome Frogskins - 1.jpg
Chrome Frogskins - 2.jpg
Chrome Frogskins - 3.jpg
Chrome Frogskins - 4.jpg
Training Kit - 1.jpg
Training Kit - 2.jpg
Training Kit - 3.jpg
Training Kit - 4.jpg
Training Kit - 5.jpg
Training Kit - 6.jpg
Training Kit - 7.jpg
Training Kit - 8.jpg

Last edited:
The frog looks great and to me looks a bit like a custom but that may be just the experiments the worker was doing. Chrome is a process that is very involved. It isn't just paint. It involves electronic connections positive and negative to the frame in a bath of some sort of solution. Chrome beads are added and the charge is increased. It literally melts the beads to the frame. Aka fmj.

It was my pleasure to help you and i hope I did. They look really cool. Let me know if your ever interested in selling them. If it's a prototype that's very cool.

Take care.

Soulfulfrog

Awesome kit....USB drive seems to be missing.....great grab. 3 containers hold Black Iridium, Clear & Persimmon Plutonite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back