• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Real Or Fake? JULIETS, Includes 10 Pics, Please Help

Real or Fake

• Totally Fake, Hide in a Corner and Cry!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea good first post great pics and a gift that I'm sure will be appreciated.

Yay! As you can imagine, I'm thrilled with all the wonderful responses to this thread.

A big 'Thank You' to Odihanin, Typhoon, Fretburner79, Oakleyguru379, Dardonardo, Kronin323, Washi me Sensie, Erap, Discostu, and Carguy for taking the time to reply.

I don't mind saying at all what I paid: $375. My goal was to find in good or better condition: Juliets, Black Iridium Polarized Lenses, Black Ear Socks, Temple Shocks, and Nose Pieces. This was, as Kronin323 points out, a decision of styling, these will go with everything. If my husband wants to personalize or 'flair' them in some way by changing the lenses or socks/shocks/nose pieces, he can do so and have these pieces as backups for when a more conservative look is needed. Because he has a professional job, this is the best starting position for him to be in.

So for $375 I got the things I wanted to get plus the box, soft cloth bag, coin, second pair of nose pieces, and second pair of temple shocks. The box and all was supposed to be original which obviously it isn't, but it wasn't my main objective so I am OK with that. He isn't going to give a hoot about the box (in our relationship, I am the original box/paperwork preserver) so selling them here to a person who has the matching glasses is actually a good idea, if I ever have enough posts to qualify. I plan to stick around since I'd love to build up a nice Oakley collection and especially since you all were so nice and welcoming.

The photos were taken in a homemade lightbox (you can Google 'how to make a lightbox') using three 5000k Daylight Bulbs and a Nikon L830 set to Macro and Exposure +1.

Once again, thank you all so much. Both for the info and for being so nice about it to someone you've never heard of before!

+1 on the great photos!

There are too many who appear here, ask about value, then disappear, just looking to sell something they don't care about for top dollar. That's not what this forum is about, and is a main reason why there are rules to participate on the exchange.

It's refreshing to have a new member who does it right. Whether you keep participating or not; at least the heart's in the right place.

$375 is a fair price. You sometimes see Juliets go for less here, but usually there's a reason. My guideline is a generous $350 - $450 for good Juliets and I'm happy when I get them for less. Not a killer deal but a reasonable price; you did good.

I'd be interested in how your husband reacts to the gift, both initially and after some time to learn to appreciate them. If you have any Oaks yourself or as you build a collection, I think we'd love to see your photography skills, showing them off...

BTW the second set of nosebombs and temple shocks are likely different size - small / large nose bombs; 15 / 25 temple shocks (25 is tighter), so there's room for adjustment if they don't fit quite right initially... and if the nosebridge is too loose, look up the x-man...

I'll echo Kronin's appreciation for you going about this the right way, and for the great photos - all too often it's a thumbnail from which we are supposed to divine whether the glasses are genuine or not!

I'm sure your husband would be thrilled, a lot of people here love the Juliet, myself included. A small word of warning - not many have been able to stop at one pair!

I bet you can count the people in the forum with one pair of juliets with the fingers of one hand :)

+1 on the great photos!

There are too many who appear here, ask about value, then disappear, just looking to sell something they don't care about for top dollar. That's not what this forum is about, and is a main reason why there are rules to participate on the exchange.

It's refreshing to have a new member who does it right. Whether you keep participating or not; at least the heart's in the right place.

$375 is a fair price. You sometimes see Juliets go for less here, but usually there's a reason. My guideline is a generous $350 - $450 for good Juliets and I'm happy when I get them for less. Not a killer deal but a reasonable price; you did good.

I'd be interested in how your husband reacts to the gift, both initially and after some time to learn to appreciate them. If you have any Oaks yourself or as you build a collection, I think we'd love to see your photography skills, showing them off...

BTW the second set of nosebombs and temple shocks are likely different size - small / large nose bombs; 15 / 25 temple shocks (25 is tighter), so there's room for adjustment if they don't fit quite right initially... and if the nosebridge is too loose, look up the x-man...

I second recommend X-Man services as per kronin323 post...he did an awesome job - refinish/tune up. Here are what mine looks like.
The X-MAN Customs Corner | Page 122 | Oakley Forum

Is there a way to tell authentic oakley lenses vs non oakley? Did some searching on the forums but couldn't find anything relevant.

Is there a way to tell authentic oakley lenses vs non oakley? Did some searching on the forums but couldn't find anything relevant.

Not easily - often aftermarkets are thinner, but there's a lot of variety. There are no identifying marks on authentic oakley lenses, aside from polarized and some special editions. Your best bet is to just get to know the oakley lens family really well, including base tints, light transmission %s, etc. Aftermarkets aren't identical to oakleys. Hang out at an oakley store, studying the different lenses. If in doubt, post pics of a suspect pair here for help from the forum.

Not easily - often aftermarkets are thinner, but there's a lot of variety. There are no identifying marks on authentic oakley lenses, aside from polarized and some special editions. Your best bet is to just get to know the oakley lens family really well, including base tints, light transmission %s, etc. Aftermarkets aren't identical to oakleys. Hang out at an oakley store, studying the different lenses. If in doubt, post pics of a suspect pair here for help from the forum.

Appreciate the response. Thanks! Not sure if this is the place for it, but here's the link for why I asked. Doesn't look like the serial number on these match the lenses.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231233271660?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back