• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Recommendation on lens tint needed

Seismic

Oakley Enthusiast
Tokyo
I do a lot of running and have recently moved to the Middle East. I run a lot in the desert and in the sand on the beaches. Today, we had very bright sun shine and running on the beach I realised that the Radars with Black Iridium lenses (which I have used with success in other countries) were completely insufficient. The sunshine and glare simply burns through the lens tint and made it very difficult to see. I am now wondering if Oakley makes a lens tint better suited for this purpose?

I am also considering if another frame model is preferable to the Radars, so if you have any suggestions, please do share.

Thanks !!

when there is so much radiance and the sun is very intense I like to use polarized lenses, especially to avoid reflections and glare, I'm on my bike, but running will be equal

Cheapest option; run "down sun"
:behindsofa:.
You may be getting reflected light from the sand coming in from under the lens?
See if you can try a pair of Racing Jackets/Jawbones that encase the orbitals more fully.
They will be a bit heavier for running though.
As far as tints go, Oakely doesn't offer anything darker than BI, though polarization may diminish the reflected glare somewhat.

Thanks guy !
1) Good suggestion on the Polarised option....I will look into that for sure.
2) Yes, I thought that Racing Jackets could be an option. Will look around for a pair.
3) I know the PRIZM - but how dark are they?

Prizm runs brighter than Black Iridium, and isn't really all that purposeful for running. I'd actually suggest OP goes polar like you mentioned earlier. The glare and reflected light being cut out makes a difference, and it's darker than regular BI.

As for frames. Racing Jacket/Jawbone, Jawbreaker, M2 and Radar EV are probably the most sealed as they come lately. I found the M2 runs closest like it were a mask, but it didn't work well with my head and facial features for a secure fit. The Radar EV is probably the closest alternative, but the Jawbreaker has the lower rim/jaw to be a more prominent block off from leaking light.

Black iridium polarized, Ice polarized or VR28 BIP (better than the others with snow and light colored sand) imho works better with glare than BI. Split Jackets and Racing Jackets give more cover, but I prefer Radars for running.

Thanks a lot for all the swift replies :cool-20:
1) Sounds like BI with Racing Jackets could be a good alternative despite that fact that I like the Radars. The Radars do indeed let in a lot of glare from underneath, so the Racking Jacket might be an interesting alternative.
2) Which color is the VR28? sounds interesting if it would be better for sand-glare than BI polarised....

VR28 BIP is a VR28 polarized lens (pink tint) with a black iridium coating. It is about as dark as black iridium, but the pink tint makes it easier to look at bright light colored surfaces for me. Polarization helps a lot with glare in general. Titanium iridium polarized also works well on snow/water (bronze base tint)

You could also check out some range lenses for your radar, they'll block out any light coming in from the bottom for sure, although I don't know what polarized options are still available on the Oakley website

Latest Posts

Back