• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Recommendations for Prescription Frames

lghtngyello03

Oakley Expert
Hey guys. I'm pretty sure I may have to have prescription glasses. I've worked with computers everyday for the past 9 years for 8-12hrs a day and I know this has taken a toll on my vision. I've noticed over the past couple of months that if I read something up close, it is hard to focus on something far away when I look up from reading. Also, road signs seem a little blurry from far off (unlike before where it wasn't blurry.)

I've noticed a lot of people wearing RX frames in the past, before the newer style frames, that I liked. But, I have no clue of the older frame style names. I love the "Square O" or Lifestyle O on the frames, not the "rounded O."

I went by an Oakley store this past weekend, as well as looked on the Oakley website at the RX frames. I don't really like the way any of them look, I'm not real big on the boxy looking "retro" style frames. The only newer frames I like are the Voltage frame, Pitchman Carbon, and Crosslink Pitch & Zero frames. Another thing that bothers me is the made in China part on most of the newer frames....kind of bummed about that.

I have a Slim face/frame and I'd like for something to fit my face like a pair of sunglasses would...with a contoured frame.

I'm not sure of the frame size that I will need as I haven't been to the eye Dr. yet. Can anyone suggest any older prescription frames that would do for me?

Thanks,
Scott

I love the "Square O" or Lifestyle O on the frames, not the "rounded O."
Some older frames had those. Metal Plate, and Fat Cat had those

Another thing that bothers me is the made in China part on most of the newer frames....kind of bummed about that.
Scratch out the China bit and it'd make Oakley feel more natural. Guess you should be thankful it's not labelled "made by luxottica"

I have a Slim face/frame and I'd like for something to fit my face like a pair of sunglasses would...with a contoured frame.
Contoured frames have expensive lenses. If you want high wrap frames like sports sunglasses (eg flak jacket, fast jacket, etc) you'd need even deeper pockets and need Oakley lenses to make it worthwhile

I'm not sure of the frame size that I will need as I haven't been to the eye Dr. yet. Can anyone suggest any older prescription frames that would do for me?
You need to size up your face because that determines the size of your glasses and also limits your styles

Some older frames had those. Metal Plate, and Fat Cat had those

Scratch out the China bit and it'd make Oakley feel more natural. Guess you should be thankful it's not labelled "made by luxottica"

Contoured frames have expensive lenses. If you want high wrap frames like sports sunglasses (eg flak jacket, fast jacket, etc) you'd need even deeper pockets and need Oakley lenses to make it worthwhile

You need to size up your face because that determines the size of your glasses and also limits your styles

I haven't bought any of the new stuff from Oakley in a long time because nothing new seems to strike my fancy like the old Oakley does, there are only a select few of the newest designs that I like. I love the older stuff before Luxottica bought them.

Spending money on something that was made in China is kind of like parts for my car....I won't spend my money on something that was made in China to save a buck or two, when I could pay for what is R&D'd here in the States. Made in America makes a difference to me.

Also, I haven't been able to get to the eye dr. yet to size my face...My appointment is in a couple of weeks.

It appears that the crosslink zero is a somewhat contoured frame, correct?
main_OX8076-0256_Zero_black-ink_028_100987_png_hero.jpg

Yes, crosslink zero is contoured (base curve 6).

I completely understand your position on new vs old Oakley and I for one do the same thing that you do: buy the old stuff because they look better or feel better than the new offerings.

Yes, crosslink zero is contoured (base curve 6).

I completely understand your position on new vs old Oakley and I for one do the same thing that you do: buy the old stuff because they look better or feel better than the new offerings.

Thanks for the info...I'm completely new to the RX glasses man, so go easy on me.
I haven't been to get checked yet, but fear my vision is getting worse due to the blurriness after looking a computer all day.

I'm not really liking how everything is going back to the 70's machinist safety glass look, lol, so I'm in search of a good looking modern frame.

I was real disappointed when I heard they sold, but hey, some of the new stuff isn't bad...but nothing beats an old pair of Spike's, Eyepatch 1's, or anything along those lines.

[...] I went by an Oakley store this past weekend, as well as looked on the Oakley website at the RX frames. I don't really like the way any of them look, I'm not real big on the boxy looking "retro" style frames. The only newer frames I like are the Voltage frame, Pitchman Carbon, and Crosslink Pitch & Zero frames. Another thing that bothers me is the made in China part on most of the newer frames....kind of bummed about that.
[...]
Oakley will make prescription lenses for almost all of their current frames, not just the ones they market as ophthalmic frames. Oakley can make prescription lenses for many vintage Oakley frames as well.
Pick a few Oakley frames that you would like to have prescription lenses in, then ask an authorized Oakley Rx dealer what options are available for those frames. The best place to get accurate info about Oakley prescription lenses is at an Oakley Store that has an optician on staff.

Oakley will make prescription lenses for almost all of their current frames, not just the ones they market as ophthalmic frames. Oakley can make prescription lenses for many vintage Oakley frames as well.
Pick a few Oakley frames that you would like to have prescription lenses in, then ask an authorized Oakley Rx dealer what options are available for those frames. The best place to get accurate info about Oakley prescription lenses is at an Oakley Store that has an optician on staff.

So possibly inquire about a set of frames I currently have? I like the vintage ophthalmic frames, just don't know the names of any of them to try to find to buy, lol.

So possibly inquire about a set of frames I currently have? I like the vintage ophthalmic frames, just don't know the names of any of them to try to find to buy, lol.
Asking about frames you currently have might be a good place to start.
Perhaps you could start a thread posting photos of some frames you like and asking for suggestions about vintage ophthalmic frames that are styled similarly.

Latest Posts

Back