• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Recommended glasses for jet ski?

Soldier

Oakley Beginner
Hi. I am looking for some glasses or goggles for riding my jet ski. Please can you recommend some different types that I could consider. I am looking for something which has a large lens so I have good viability. I would also like a lens that water doesn't stick to easily. And something to help with the reflection from the sun on the water. Having a strap isnt much of an issue as I can easily add my own.

Water jackets. But those will be slightly harder to find.

Welcome to the forum.

You can try racing jackets

I'm sure there's several options that would fit the bill but I would recommend the Radarlock. For lens, the new Prizm Deep Water polarized would be an ideal choice; whether you get the path or pitch lens shape just depends on which fits your face better.

You said you can easily add your own strap, but the radarlock is compatible with the old M-Frame strap; it snaps into the frame for a secure mount. They're discontinued but you can find them fairly easily; here's an example:

Oakley Sunglasses M Frame Ballistic Kit Elastico Strap Oculos Gafas Lunettes | eBay

Though that's not to be confused with the Pro M-Frame strap, which I don't believe is compatible, such as this one:

New Oakley Pro M Frame Kit Slash Strap Kit 06 622 Military SI | eBay

Then, regardless of which frame or lens you get, you can improve the water repellency with one of these hydrophobic kits:

http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sungl...A4230001NC/?skuCode=07-313&categoryCode=m0211

OakleyFrankFMJ - I had a look at racing jackets and they dont meet my requirements as the lens seems really small. I want something that wraps around so that I dont see any frame and so that no water can get between the gaps since there is a lot of splash when going over waves.

kronin323 - About the hydrophobic kits, is there not a lens that automatically has this built into it or something? If I buy this kit how often will I need to apply it?
Also you recommended the Radarlock but you also recommended Prizm. These are two different types of glasses so I would need to buy the frame and then buy the lens separately? I think I would prefer something that is already built and ready.

kronin323 - About the hydrophobic kits, is there not a lens that automatically has this built into it or something? If I buy this kit how often will I need to apply it?
Also you recommended the Radarlock but you also recommended Prizm. These are two different types of glasses so I would need to buy the frame and then buy the lens separately? I think I would prefer something that is already built and ready.

For a while they made lenses that were hydrophobic out of the box but they no longer do so, in favor of this kit. How often you re-apply it is variable - some people use it dual-purpose as a cleaning kit, so it gets reapplied every time they clean the lens. Others supplement it with a normal cleaning kit and use the normal one for regular cleaning and the hydrophobic one only periodically, say every two weeks to every month or so, depending on how much they are used.

The Radarlock is a type of frame with interchangeable lenses while Prizm is a family of lenses that share a particular technology; they're available for many frames.

True, right now there isn't a Radarlock / Prizm Deep H2O colorway available out-of-the-box; there is a Radar / Prizm Deep H2O Pitch, but Radar is not compatible with the strap I recommended (doesn't have the mounting holes) and you're stuck with the Pitch lens shape, if you end up preferring Path...

But you can get Prizm Deep H2O Radarlock replacement lenses in Path; I have a set. And swapping lenses in Radarlock is a tool-less under-a-minute job, including removal of the original lenses.

But though I recommended Prizm Deep H2O as an ideal choice, it's not the only viable one. Perhaps your best bet is to get a Radarlock with a BIP (Black Iridium Polarized) lens - the polar helps with water glare and the 9% light trans is as low as they make, with a neutral base tint. Then later your could always add a Prizm Deep H2O lens to your array if you so choose.

So I am understanding this correctly there are these different types of lenses which provide a different view. Path, Radar Pitch and probably some others? Judging my the pictures I like the look of the Radar Pitch style. These seem to wrap around and provide a good area of view. Would these be a good option then: Oakley Prizm Water Deep Polarized Radar Pitch in POLISHED BLACK / BLACK IRIDIUM | Oakley as these seemed to be design for "Water". The Radarlock ones are under the "Trail" section. Not sure if it means anything though.

So I am understanding this correctly there are these different types of lenses which provide a different view. Path, Radar Pitch and probably some others? Judging my the pictures I like the look of the Radar Pitch style. These seem to wrap around and provide a good area of view. Would these be a good option then: Oakley Prizm Water Deep Polarized Radar Pitch in POLISHED BLACK / BLACK IRIDIUM | Oakley as these seemed to be design for "Water". The Radarlock ones are under the "Trail" section. Not sure if it means anything though.

The difference between path and pitch is merely the shape of the bottom of the lens. Pitch provides a little more coverage at the bottom but can annoyingly touch the cheeks of some while path gives better clearance for those types of faces. But both are otherwise the same wrap-around shield lenses.

Yeah Prizm water and trail are completely different things. Prizm fine-tunes which light wavelengths are transmitted or blocked for specific applications. So they have road, trail, baseball, water, and others. But each one is quite different from the other, tuned for the different uses. They even have two water ones, deep and shallow.

And then Radar vs. Radarlock - they're very similar but different frames. Radarlock is basically an upgraded version of Radar, with a feature that makes lens changing easier (the "lock" tech) and they also have the mounting holes for the M-Frame strap.

Radarlock lenses will not fit in Radar. You can get Radar lenses into Radarlock, but it's not a tight fit, not designed to be interchangeable between the two frames.

The link you posted is for Radar.

Here's some pics of the setup I'm recommending - RadarLock with Prizm Deep H2O (for me, path) with M-Frame strap attached...

20150910_164232.jpg

20150910_164257.jpg

And no, people can't see your eyes when you're wearing them... ;)

20150822_145009.jpg

Imo the nicest lenses on water are the contrast lenses or Grey.

Vr28 iS sweet.

Against popular believe - polarised lenses are not suitable for water sports because they take away the shape of the surface and make it harder to just chop/swell....

Thanks for the help so far. Is there a reason they haven't released a RadarLock version here: Oakley PRIZMÆ Water PRIZM Sunglasses| Oakley ?

Is it possible to just buy the frame without the lens or will I need to buy RadarLock with the lens and then buy an additional lens?

What is the difference between the shallow water one and the deep water one? Bearing in mind I will be using these at high speed on a jet ski, is there a recommended one?

Also will these lens allow be to easily spot hazards and objects in the water? I currently have some polarised Oakley sunglasses and I have noticed a few times I would only spot a hazard in the water when I am a few meters away from it and I would have to turn sharply to avoid it. It would usually be little silver lobster pots floating above the surface. The problem with the ones I have now, they are very dark and it feels like its night the whole time. I would ideally like a lens that allows me to easily see on the water.

Last edited:
Here is the Radarlock with Prizm Deep H2O lens in the Pitch shape. My personal opinion is that the Flak 2.0 & Flak Jacket (with XLJ lens for better coverage) are more secure on my head and I'd choose them over the Radarlock for jet skiing at high speed. Radarlock would probably be just fine though.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back