• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Recommended glasses for jet ski?

Will these lens allow be to easily spot hazards and objects in the water? I currently have some polarised Oakley sunglasses and I have noticed a few times I would only spot a hazard in the water when I am a few meters away from it and I would have to turn sharply to avoid it. It would usually be little silver lobster pots floating above the surface. The problem with the ones I have now, they are very dark and it feels like its night the whole time. I would ideally like a lens that allows me to easily see on the water. How dark is this lens?

Also I noticed on the picture here Oakley Prizm Water Deep Polarized Radar Pitch in POLISHED BLACK / BLACK IRIDIUM | Oakley there are 2 holes on the frame. What are these holes for?

Will these lens allow be to easily spot hazards and objects in the water? I currently have some polarised Oakley sunglasses and I have noticed a few times I would only spot a hazard in the water when I am a few meters away from it and I would have to turn sharply to avoid it. It would usually be little silver lobster pots floating above the surface. The problem with the ones I have now, they are very dark and it feels like its night the whole time. I would ideally like a lens that allows me to easily see on the water. How dark is this lens?

Also I noticed on the picture here Oakley Prizm Water Deep Polarized Radar Pitch in POLISHED BLACK / BLACK IRIDIUM | Oakley there are 2 holes on the frame. What are these holes for?

I believe they would but I haven't gone jetskiing with them (if we're talking about the Deep Water Prizms). My experience with them is they reduced the sky-blue reflections on the water, so it should be easier to see stuff in the water.

Holes in the frame, you mean on the earstems... really it's just styling; you could call them vents but they serve no real practical purpose, AFAIK.

I thought the holes may have a practical use such as attaching some string around it and then around my head so they dont fall off. I understand that the Radar frame isnt compatible with any oakley straps so I will have to try to create my own.

Due to them reducing the blue reflections, does it make it harder to judge wave height?

Due to them reducing the blue reflections, does it make it harder to judge wave height?

Well, like I said, I didn't go jetskiing with them. My on-the-water experience with them is limited to swimming in ocean surf and a pontoon boat ride on a lake. But it's not like it made the water disappear; you could still see the waves just fine. It's just the water had a less reflective, more yellow-brownish color than unaided.

I ended up buying these: http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sungl...PZDW/?skuCode=OO9052-02&categoryCode=m0201016 . They arrived today and I tested them but they were pretty terrible. I have emailed Oakley and asked if I can swap them for something else. I was blinded by salt water the whole time as the water kept going through the gaps. I need something that is sealed around the edges. Any recommended glasses which are sealed?

Other than the fact that water kept getting in your eyes, how did the lens tint work for you?

I ended up buying these: http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sungl...PZDW/?skuCode=OO9052-02&categoryCode=m0201016 . They arrived today and I tested them but they were pretty terrible. I have emailed Oakley and asked if I can swap them for something else. I was blinded by salt water the whole time as the water kept going through the gaps. I need something that is sealed around the edges. Any recommended glasses which are sealed?
Remember my first reply to you about water jackets/wind jackets?

kronin323 - I was not able to fully test them but I remember somebody said polarised lenses isnt the best for high speed activites and I think they may be right. The lenses constantly had drops of water on them even after using the special liquid. Also they were slightly dark which made it overall very hard to see. I am sure they are good glasses but not good for my purpose.

OakleyFrankFMJ - Do you mean these http://uk.oakley.com/en/mens/sunglasses/sport-sunglasses/racing-jacket-reg-/category/m020307 ? They dont look like they are fully sealed on the edges. Even a slight gap will allow water through as I hit very big waves on the jet ski and it feels like my face is being punched everytime I land a wave.

If radar pitch was letting too much water in, you're gonna need wind jackets like Frank said, or maybe just abandon the idea of sunglasses and wear a pair of swimming goggles... The link you posted is racing jacket which is not the same. The wind jackets are basically a split jacket with a wind gasket.

Last edited:
Back