• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Recut Lens Question

Most of the time there isn’t a problem, @Chris A Hardaway is arguably the most experienced cutter here and a stickler for getting it just right, never heard a bad word said about the man.

Had cuts from him on numerous occasions and they are always spot on.

There are others that do them but he is most people’s first port of call.

Good to know, thanks!!

It’s always great when other members can vouch for others. Makes me a little more confident in my purchases.

I’ve seen a video of him cutting lenses I believe. Cool process!

Good to know, thanks!!

It’s always great when other members can vouch for others. Makes me a little more confident in my purchases.

I’ve seen a video of him cutting lenses I believe. Cool process!

Although on balance you are the first person I have heard wasn’t happy with @scienergy.

I have purchased parts from him in the past with no issues.

Got to give him the benefit of the doubt and he appears to be making amends somewhat.....

Although on balance you are the first person I have heard wasn’t happy with @scienergy.

I have purchased parts from him in the past with no issues.

Got to give him the benefit of the doubt and he appears to be making amends somewhat.....

I’ve seen some people get parts from him, and they seemed happy. Good reviews on eBay, and lots of different lenses. I’m assuming one slipped past QC or the wrong ones were sent in the box.

I’ve seen some people get parts from him, and they seemed happy. Good reviews on eBay, and lots of different lenses. I’m assuming one slipped past QC or the wrong ones were sent in the box.

We all make mistakes, it’s just how we go about rectifying them is the crux of the matter.

Hope you get it all sorted, mate.

I bought a set of recut Juliet Prizm lenses from OXM once, that did not fit my Juliets just right. But it was close, and as we all know X-metal castings have big production tolerances.

Anyway, like you, I could return them without any issues. 👍

If you want to be sure, send in your frames to your cutter and you ought to get the perfect cut.

Cheers, Lars

I bought a set of recut Juliet Prizm lenses from OXM once, that did not fit my Juliets just right. But it was close, and as we all know X-metal castings have big production tolerances.

Anyway, like you, I could return them without any issues.

If you want to be sure, send in your frames to your cutter and you ought to get the perfect cut.

Cheers, Lars

I was just a little concerned because on his eBay listing, it says no returns. But good to know they handled it for you!

I can’t find the thread, but as stated before, XS have 2 different type of orbitals, some are rounder and the others are square-ish. OP seems to have the square type of orbitals (you can see it by how straight the inner lines are), and oxm seems to have shipped you the rounder type of lens cuts.
It is a pain in the ass tbh, but it is super important to check this with your lens cutter before buying anything. Same goes with juliets and XXs, first gens have much smaller orbitals than the newer ones, so having a custom cut will be tricky depending on your frame.
Best solution is to send your frame straight to the cutter so he can do the exact cuts for your frames, it ain’t cost efficient, but it gets the best outcome everytime. Some cutters like Chrisahardaway already know about this, you only need to let him know about it prior to the cut and he’ll take care of you.
Frames I recall have different orbital sizes/shapes:
Juliets (1st and 2nd gens tend to be smaller)
XX (1st gen tios and xmetal have smaller orbitals)
Penny (weird one, first plasma batches tend to have smaller orbitals)
Romeo (jordans are smaller and don’t have the little flip on the nose side)
XS (all in general, gotta check if they have the round or square orbitals)

I can’t find the thread, but as stated before, XS have 2 different type of orbitals, some are rounder and the others are square-ish. OP seems to have the square type of orbitals (you can see it by how straight the inner lines are), and oxm seems to have shipped you the rounder type of lens cuts.
It is a pain in the ass tbh, but it is super important to check this with your lens cutter before buying anything. Same goes with juliets and XXs, first gens have much smaller orbitals than the newer ones, so having a custom cut will be tricky depending on your frame.
Best solution is to send your frame straight to the cutter so he can do the exact cuts for your frames, it ain’t cost efficient, but it gets the best outcome everytime. Some cutters like Chrisahardaway already know about this, you only need to let him know about it prior to the cut and he’ll take care of you.
Frames I recall have different orbital sizes/shapes:
Juliets (1st and 2nd gens tend to be smaller)
XX (1st gen tios and xmetal have smaller orbitals)
Penny (weird one, first plasma batches tend to have smaller orbitals)
Romeo (jordans are smaller and don’t have the little flip on the nose side)
XS (all in general, gotta check if they have the round or square orbitals)

Wow, very informative, thank you very much! This does clear things up a bit. Would you by chance have a side by side of the different orbitals?

Back