• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Recut Lens Question

Wow, very informative, thank you very much! This does clear things up a bit. Would you by chance have a side by side of the different orbitals?
Sorry I don’t ended up selling my XS a while ago since it was always tight around my head.
I remember there was a big thread back in 2018-19 about this issue and we all complained about it, I was able to find it before I bought lenses, so I got lucky. Can’t really find it but we had lots of comparisons done there, might wanna track it down, it was useful at the time

Sorry I don’t ended up selling my XS a while ago since it was always tight around my head.
I remember there was a big thread back in 2018-19 about this issue and we all complained about it, I was able to find it before I bought lenses, so I got lucky. Can’t really find it but we had lots of comparisons done there, might wanna track it down, it was useful at the time

Ah ok, good to know! Thank you for this!

I found some info on that thread you mentioned. After looking at mine very carefully and comparing pictures, looks like my orbital bottom is straighter, rather than a slight curve. So looks like mine is the more common of the two different orbital sizes.

I can’t find the thread, but as stated before, XS have 2 different type of orbitals, some are rounder and the others are square-ish. OP seems to have the square type of orbitals (you can see it by how straight the inner lines are), and oxm seems to have shipped you the rounder type of lens cuts.
It is a pain in the ass tbh, but it is super important to check this with your lens cutter before buying anything. Same goes with juliets and XXs, first gens have much smaller orbitals than the newer ones, so having a custom cut will be tricky depending on your frame.
Best solution is to send your frame straight to the cutter so he can do the exact cuts for your frames, it ain’t cost efficient, but it gets the best outcome everytime. Some cutters like Chrisahardaway already know about this, you only need to let him know about it prior to the cut and he’ll take care of you.
Frames I recall have different orbital sizes/shapes:
Juliets (1st and 2nd gens tend to be smaller)
XX (1st gen tios and xmetal have smaller orbitals)
Penny (weird one, first plasma batches tend to have smaller orbitals)
Romeo (jordans are smaller and don’t have the little flip on the nose side)
XS (all in general, gotta check if they have the round or square orbitals)
@Manish can also comment, I'm sure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I sold XS OEM lenses which didn't fit on his XS pairs. He sent them back to a contact in the USA and I refunded (obviously).

I found some info on that thread you mentioned. After looking at mine very carefully and comparing pictures, looks like my orbital bottom is straighter, rather than a slight curve. So looks like mine is the more common of the two different orbital sizes.
if it's not too much trouble, can you link the page here?

@Manish can also comment, I'm sure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I sold XS OEM lenses which didn't fit on his XS pairs. He sent them back to a contact in the USA and I refunded (obviously).
That was really a one-off weird one because it was an OEM frame and a pair of OEM emerald lenses in question.
@cacatman 's pair I think did not have the rounded bottom which is typical in warranty frames and "EOL" (End Of Life frames; term quite common in manufacturing where the last few batches have final tweaks before production is completely shut down) frames.
Installing and uninstalling OEM lenses in a regular XS frame is a bit cumbersome and it's hard to get by without getting the edges scuffed but that was a one-off case where I just could not screw in the orbital with the lens intact.

if it's not too much trouble, can you link the page here?

It really does seem to be a one off type thing. Doesn't seem to be all that common from the looks of things. Or I'm sure we'd hear a lot more about it.

Back