• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Red Vs. Red Vs...Red?

Feelin' Froggy

Oakley Beginner
Ever since this discussion: http://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-frogskins-exchange/4261-wtb-90s-positive-red-lenses.html I've been meaning to post pics showing the contrast of Gen 2 +Red and its current incarnation.

I went ahead and included a set of Ruby for the heck of it. The original +Reds are in Crystal Blacks, the current +Reds are in Blacklights, and the Rubys are in Whites.

Kind of funny how they actually don't look as different in the pics so much as they do in person. Figured I'd post anyway, bc I'm bored..

photo7.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo2-5.jpg

photo1-6.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

Attachments

• photo7.jpg
    photo7.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 264
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 304
  • photo4-1.jpg
    photo4-1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 301
  • photo2-5.jpg
    photo2-5.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 274
  • photo1-6.jpg
    photo1-6.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 295
  • photo3-3.jpg
    photo3-3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 308
Definitely agree. I wish they'd go back to the original formula. I tried to get into the Ruby, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Are those pink lenses"?

I do perfer them to look a little pinkish than be frubys. My echleons have a lot of fire in them so at certain lights and angles they actually look almost like fire. As for positive red I have been asked of they were a pinkish lens before. Positive red is one of my favorite lenses

Try swapping the +red lenses between glasses, and see what happens. The frame colour makes a huge difference in the way the lens looks. I took the violet iridiums out of a pair clear frames and put them in anti freeze and then looked at my matte black/violet and those were a lot darker, I actually had to take the violet lenses out of my matte black to try them and they looked the exact same in the anti freeze. They looked lighter and not as purple. Same thing here, your going from a frame that is translucent to a sold colour.

I've actually tried that a few times. My Crystal Blacks came w/Ruby in them. That's when I noticed it wasn't the same that I remembered (ie the pinkishness)as when I had the original Cry Black/+Reds, and my search for the older lenses started. The new +Reds are cool and all, just not the same, either.

Try swapping the +red lenses between glasses, and see what happens. The frame colour makes a huge difference in the way the lens looks. I took the violet iridiums out of a pair clear frames and put them in anti freeze and then looked at my matte black/violet and those were a lot darker, I actually had to take the violet lenses out of my matte black to try them and they looked the exact same in the anti freeze. They looked lighter and not as purple. Same thing here, your going from a frame that is translucent to a sold colour.

Bumping this thread because I received a pair of old positive red lenses and they're sick. Why did Oakley ever update this lense? The current positive red (which is not bad in itself) should really have been called positive blue...

Bumping this thread because I received a pair of old positive red lenses and they're sick. Why did Oakley ever update this lense? The current positive red (which is not bad in itself) should really have been called positive blue...
Go take a look at the lenses from the 90's, barely any red to them, mostly black.

Go take a look at the lenses from the 90's, barely any red to them, mostly black.
That's how I felt about my newer +red. Were pink from the sides, but almost no red--just deep blue/violet from head on. Speaking of which does anyone know around what year Oakley first release +red?

Back