• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Refinishing cerakote

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
Has anyone tried cerakoting a pair that had already been cerakoted another color?

Did you have to strip the original cerakote first? How?

Or did you just cerakote on top of the other color? Did it cause any buildup/fitting issues, or bonding issues, or color bleed issues?

image.jpg

always strip before recoating.......you want that paint to have a good mechanical bond to the frames. The only chemical I know that would strip that paint is trichloroethylene or a sandblaster.

Thanks - a vaguely related question:

I know using interior latex paint on walls, the color appears lighter when wet and darkens a little when dry. Does the same thing happen with cerakote or is the color exactly the same both wet and dry?

anytime you refinish, it's best to start from a naked surface (ya, here come the puns)...best way to remove is to blast it since you have to blast it anyway in the prep for cerakote. kind of a redundant question really. And I know of a chemical that will strip it with absolute ease and not harm the plastic either, but I am not telling haha. It just takes much longer and again, is redundant. If you can't remove it, then you better hope the original job was prepped correctly, otherwise the issues will surface down the road. They always do.

anytime you refinish, it's best to start from a naked surface (ya, here come the puns)...best way to remove is to blast it since you have to blast it anyway in the prep for cerakote. kind of a redundant question really. And I know of a chemical that will strip it with absolute ease and not harm the plastic either, but I am not telling haha. It just takes much longer and again, is redundant. If you can't remove it, then you better hope the original job was prepped correctly, otherwise the issues will surface down the road. They always do.
Yup.....get naked and blast her..... I mean it..... :p

Latest Posts

Back