• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Reflections on inside of lenses

ucdavis4PT0gpa

I should Work at Oakley
Oceanside, Oregon
I know this has been discussed (and I've actually experienced it) in the past but I can't find a dedicated thread to it-

Is anyone or has anyone experienced reflections of the inside of their lenses to the point of unwearability? And is it worse with some lens/frame combos?

I have a pair of X-Squared Polished Carbon and Fire Polarized I built and I'm getting crazy reflections of light off the inside of the lens to the point I simply can't wear them- I even have what appears to be a line of light moving up and down the lens. Lighting doesn't seem to matter- though the brighter the worse it is-there's always something reflecting back I can see.

Like I said, I've experienced this before especially with Fire but not like this. I'd say I think its a bad set of lenses but I had these exact lenses in a Plasma frame and they were fine- I pop them in this Carbon frame and it starts.

Not sure what if anything can be done about it but if anyone has thoughts/ideas, they'd be welcome- cause otherwise I'm going to breakdown this frame and do something else with it.

Are these lenses OEM replacements or custom cuts?

The closest I've experienced to what your describing was with a pair of custom cuts. One lens had been over-beveled a little bit so the bevel wasn't entirely contained within the frame and light could get into the lens from the edge.

I don't mean that there was a pass-through gap between lens and frame, merely that part of the bevel was exposed on the outside.

The solution was to take a black sharpie and color the bevel so light couldn't get in.

With the fitting variations found with x-metals, it's possible something like this could happen with OEM replacements, too.

These are OEM- and again, I had these in a Plasma and they were fine- pop them in the Carbon and boom there it is. Maybe I'll try loosening up the lenses and shifting them to re-seat them and see if that helps. I'm not seeing anywhere that light would be creeping through- whatever is causing this given the variables has to be with the fit of these lenses to this frame.

I have some clear/chrome Holbrooks that are like the worst ever migraine on a sunny day, but that is by and large the result of that combo more than any flaw.

Anybody ever have a pair of OEM BIP lenses that have a greenish tint on the inside of the lens? Not when worn, but held out in front of your face like you're about to put them on.

Well I think you need to part with those x-squared. I wouldn't want you to ruin your eyes. I will take them...haha joking. That sucks. Only thing I have ever noticed on lenses are the new prizm. outfield baseball-wear them for a little bit, take them off and it's like everything is green.

Might just be how the frames sit. Wonder if it's all that polish and reflections. I need a pair of polished x-squared lol

I'm going to drop them I'm my X Metal frame and see if it goes away. My guess is that it will. Then I've got to decide if I want to do a more blacked out Polished Carbon with Titanium Iridium Polarized or sell them.

I have some clear/chrome Holbrooks that are like the worst ever migraine on a sunny day, but that is by and large the result of that combo more than any flaw.

I have the same problem with mine. I get a little bit of reflection where I can actually see my eyes sometimes but it only happens in the right light.

Back