• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Removal of prices in exchange threads

I agree 100% with everyone - I just went in to tweak the settings so that you can only edit your own exchange posts for a limited time. I think that any changes should be made in additional posts as opposed to continuously editing the first post.

This does also mean though that if you are selling 10 items in a thread you cannot keep editing the first post to tell people they are sold. There are pro's and cons so we'll see how it plays out.

so this also made it to where we cant change the title anymore either correct?

Frustrated by people who overwrite the prices on the Exchange with 'Sold'. It's such a useful reference to ensure you are pricing appropriately as a seller. I think overwriting prices should be banned or made impossible!

Having said that, I used to do it myself because I saw others doing it and thought there must be some kind of rule! I keep my prices intact now for others to reference. Note that I don't state the actual sell price, I simply leave the most recent selling price in my advert. In some cases, the buyer haggled me down a bit.

I just can't understand the motivation in overwriting the price.

Exactly - that's why I think this whole practice of looking at prior exchange listings prices as reference should be taken with a grain of salt...
Not really. Some information is better than none. If I can see a few list prices and then mentally reduce by say 10-20% that's still useful. But even if you are right, what's the harm in leaving the info? How do you explain the secrecy?

Exactly - that's why I think this whole practice of looking at prior exchange listings prices as reference should be taken with a grain of salt...

sure, but how much is someone going to be haggled down? I would estimate no more than a few %. I mean if it can be haggled down by like $100 then what was the point of the original price in the first place?

I see all prices as a guide because the depend on so many factors, number of people interested in a given item at any one time, urgency of the sale to the seller, price the seller paid for the item originally, etc, etc. That doesn't mean that there is no value in keeping them around.

Not really. Some information is better than none. If I can see a few list prices and then mentally reduce by say 10-20% that's still useful. But even if you are right, what's the harm in leaving the info? How do you explain the secrecy?

Oh, I have no problem with leaving the prices there. I'm just saying they can't always be taken at face value.

The vast majority of things I've bought here, I've paid the asking price - because I thought it was fair. Or I wanted it enough!

If my price is way apart from the advertised price, I won't normally open negotiations as I feel it's fairly unlikely to be mutually acceptable. Doesn't happen that often here, the prices are rarely waaayyyy out.

I think Kronin, Illumination and I are basically singing from the same hymn book here. Maybe Kronin feels less strongly than Ill and I do. I agree that the reduction due to haggling is usually quite a low percentage. Though I'm embarrassed a the first price I listed for my Polished/VR28 versus current! Illumination, forgive my poor pricing on that one ;-)

C'mon price deleters, explain thyselves!

I think Kronin, Illumination and I are basically singing from the same hymn book here. Maybe Kronin feels less strongly than Ill and I do. I agree that the reduction due to haggling is usually quite a low percentage. Though I'm embarrassed a the first price I listed for my Polished/VR28 versus current! Illumination, forgive my poor pricing on that one ;-)

C'mon price deleters, explain thyselves!

But that's a case in point. Lack of previous sale info. on the rare Juliet Polished VR28 meant I had nothing to go on and ended up pricing myself out of the market. Anyway, sounds like I'm really worked up about this. I'm not. This is a case of '1st world problems' if ever I heard it. Let's just be thankful any of us can afford to wear several hundred $ sunglasses :)