• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Removal of prices in exchange threads

C'mon price deleters, explain thyselves!

Though I am not one, I can speculate...

Privacy. Sure, while a sale thread is active, one can see how much an item was purchased for if you're watching while it happens, but removing it after the fact prevents tracking that down later. For example:

(On one sale thread...)
Person A - I have a Juliet for sale for $350 and a XX for sale for $450.

Person B - PM sent on Juliet!

Person A - Juliet sold.

(days, weeks, months, or years later, new sale thread...)
Person B - I have a Juliet for sale for $425

Person C - (hmmm, I found an old sale thread where Person B bought this item for $350; now he's selling it for $425. He's got $75 in margin listed, so I know what his cards look like as I try to haggle...)

In other words, though keeping prices might provide a useful reference for some, for others it creates a record of their purchases, which could come back to haunt them later. Really it's nobody's business how much a seller originally paid for the item he's selling.

Though I am not one, I can speculate...

Privacy. Sure, while a sale thread is active, one can see how much an item was purchased for if you're watching while it happens, but removing it after the fact prevents tracking that down later. For example:

(On one sale thread...)
Person A - I have a Juliet for sale for $350 and a XX for sale for $450.

Person B - PM sent on Juliet!

Person A - Juliet sold.

(days, weeks, months, or years later, new sale thread...)
Person B - I have a Juliet for sale for $425

Person C - (hmmm, I found an old sale thread where Person B bought this item for $350; now he's selling it for $425. He's got $75 in margin listed, so I know what his cards look like as I try to haggle...)

In other words, though keeping prices might provide a useful reference for some, for others it creates a record of their purchases, which could come back to haunt them later. Really it's nobody's business how much a seller originally paid for the item he's selling.
Hadn't thought of it that way but I think you nailed it. I'm starting to realize I'm a bit naive about the amount of selling, re-selling and 'flipping' going on.... Thanks for lifting the veil!

But wouldn't it create a healthier Exchange culture to insist that prices are retained?

But wouldn't it create a healthier Exchange culture to insist that prices are retained?

Just offering my opinion here, though personally I'm fine with leaving sale prices, as a general practice I'm against over-regulation. As shown by the previous example, solving an annoyance for some creates an annoyance for others. Even the recent change to prevent editing the thread titles was done in good faith to help with this issue, but some found it restrictive and annoying.

People should be allowed some flexibility on how they want to do things; one person's "perfect world" isn't gonna suit everybody.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose... :D

Just offering my opinion here, though personally I'm fine with leaving sale prices, as a general practice I'm against over-regulation. As shown by the previous example, solving an annoyance for some creates an annoyance for others. Even the recent change to prevent editing the thread titles was done in good faith to help with this issue, but some found it restrictive and annoying.

People should be allowed some flexibility on how they want to do things; one person's "perfect world" isn't gonna suit everybody.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose... :D

You are a wise man.

Illumination, help me here. I think Kronin's won me over. I feel myself slipping.. The force is weak with me ...

Just do whatever you like fellow Exchange people... It's al l g o o d....

Illuminat.....

Argghh.

The dark side!

The vast majority of things I've bought here, I've paid the asking price - because I thought it was fair. Or I wanted it enough!

If my price is way apart from the advertised price, I won't normally open negotiations as I feel it's fairly unlikely to be mutually acceptable. Doesn't happen that often here, the prices are rarely waaayyyy out.
As a seller i can tell you there are an enormous amount of low ball offers.

I've heard it all including buyers aggressively criticising my item to get a reduction. The classic was one dude who said

'I really just think the XX Xmetal BI is a very boring colorway, it just doesn't appeal to me that much. Will you take (over 30% below asking)?'

But yes, i really appreciate the widespread accuracy and fairness in the Exchange. The What's It Worth thread plays a vital role...

As a seller i can tell you there are an enormous amount of low ball offers.

I've heard it all including buyers aggressively criticising my item to get a reduction. The classic was one dude who said

'I really just think the XX Xmetal BI is a very boring colorway, it just doesn't appeal to me that much. Will you take (over 30% below asking)?'

But yes, i really appreciate the widespread accuracy and fairness in the Exchange. The What's It Worth thread plays a vital role...

I've had some people PM me with horror stories about ridiculous lowballers; one even once decided to close his sale thread because he got tired of wasting his time dealing with all of them.

Another member did something sneaky to get around lowballers - he posted a thread discussing the item, with no indication that he wanted to sell it. Based on the responses he got from various people, he chose some to contact privately and offer the sale. Now that's going to great lengths just to avoid all the lowballing BS...

My view on this has always been that it doesn't matter what a seller paid for something, it is what the market is willing to pay that is important. I guess that view is not shared by everyone. As mentioned when I started this thread, I am new to the forum, and as such have never sold anything here. I assumed everyone thought as I did. Clearly not. I must admit that I am surprised that low balling is such an issue here. I kind of understand it on ebay, but here I thought people, I don't know, knew better.

Either way, personally, I would still prefer prices are left in the threads, but I also don't expect it to be made a rule. To me, while the exchange has great value in terms of helping me set my valuation for items, it is, first, a great place for me to acquire pieces. I wouldn't want to prevent people from wanting to put items up for sale because there are too many rules around posting threads. I also wouldn't want people to think twice about put items up for sale because they get too many low balls due to something like this.

Double-edged sword and all that.

I still think this discussion has, at least for me, added additional value, as I now know more than before I posted it, so thank you to everyone that has contributed.