• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Removing A Spinning Jawbone Thru-bolt?

Oliver Forster

Oakley Beginner
UK
Hello,

Unfortunately one of the thru-bolts on a pair of Jawbone/ Racing Jackets I have, is spinning - obviously too tight and while trying to remove (for the first time in the right direction) it's stripped the hexagonal housing in the jaw.

I've recently bought new jaws, hence the rebuild.

So far I've tried loads of pressure, using sticky 3M mastic tape to help hold it and add more friction, but to no avail...

Any advice would be really appreciated before I buy new bolts, which I think I'll have to do anyway and get the power tools out - if I have to do that, what would be advised?

Thanks in advance!

Considering the threads are extremely fragile and wrecked ... You might want to get on finding bolts now, and if i had to try id find the smallest drill bit ever and try and drill it out...

Very carefully!

PS: what colour bolts do you need?

Ideally, I'm after gloss black through bolts to match the frame - I bought the jaws, which should hopefully be here soon, from Oakster.

I've enquired about bolts too, which he says he has, but reading between the lines, he's crazy busy and struggling to find the time - I could be wrong?

I'm just keen to give these glasses a fresh look?

I had the same issue with a pair of JB's that I wanted to put Blue jaws on. The only way I could get it undone was to grip the head on one side & the jaw on the other & then use the Torx bit to undo it. It damages the jaw & did the bolt a little but paint covered that up. It might be worth wrapping a plaster around the jaw of the pliers on the side that will grip the bolt head. This might me enough to stop some if not all the damage.

If it stripped that easy it's probably aluminum which you should be able to drill right out

I believe a 3/8 bit will drill through but leave the frame/jaw intact. Don't take my word for that though...I take no responsibility for your actions haha. It's been a while since I had to drill one out.

I believe a 3/8 bit will drill through but leave the frame/jaw intact. Don't take my word for that though...I take no responsibility for your actions haha. It's been a while since I had to drill one out.
Whoa 3/8? Easy killer Lol. I think 3/16 but I can measure it if needed

Latest Posts

Back