• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Removing The Lens Inner Coating...

Anyone tried using scotch tape to remove the peeling? Stick it on and remove the peeling

Update:

I removed the inside flake using scotch tape and it is now clean as a whistle.

Will it affect UV protection or glare since im planning to use it?

This topic has come up many times before. If I recall correctly, there really is no fix. Scotch tape is a new one for me, but as mentioned, it will affect the optics. IMHO, if the anti reflective coating is peeling that bad, you might want to consider just buying replacement lenses. Juliet lenses come up for sale quite often and there are also many people here who can custom cut lenses for you in just about any tint.

It will not affect the UV protection; that is an innate property of the polycarbonate, not a layer; it cannot be removed.

Lacking the anti-reflective coating on the inside of the lenses will only make it more likely to get some internal glare / reflections when the sun's to the side or behind you.

It lessens their full "Oakley" functionality and in your place I would replace them, but they are still usable. As are many lesser-quality lenses... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mess with them unless it is really bad. There is an "Anti-reflective" stripper liquid. Similar to acetone. You'd want to use gloves and not soak the whole lens or iridium will also come off. But typically using a cotton ball and rubbing will break it off. The problem then is the base polycarbonate/ plutonite underneath scratches very easily.

Come on these are Vintage Oakley x-metals man, these are top of the line sunglasses .go out and buy a new pair of lenses. that film serves a purpose

Back