• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Repainting Oakley plastic frames

Granted

Oakley Beginner
My first project is to rejuvenate my 2002 Oakley Scalpel in a light metallic grey with ruby red lenses.

I have my preparation plan (no bumps or gouges so 1200 grit wet sanding) but for paint I have to confess the brain is struggling to make a decision!
I understand the frames are ABS, so I don't think I need a primer as the surface has been sanded back, but feel free to correct me.
With regards to paint thickness I guess this is going to depend on my paint selection. I'm looking for a matt grey metallic finish, preferably without a clear coat.

Here are my original frames, with the original paint, work to the base plastic in some areas:
IMG_0546 copy.jpg

Is there a knowledgebase anyone can refer me to?

P.S. I will contact Wavecloud in the UK, but I need to work on my profile more before I can PN!

So after an afternoon of research I have found out that the frames are made from O-matter, a nylon-based plastic material which may or may not require a coat of primer.

Judging by how the frame has been worn through the paint to the base material I'm guessing/hoping that no primer is necessary, but I'll find out when I paint the first areas in the coming weeks.

With regards to the paint, I've found "ZEROPAINTS ZP-1466 Mercedes AMG GT3 Metallic Grey (Grau) Matt Paint" which does require a primer and a clear-coat... it ain't cheap but looks good!
The alternative is Tamiya XF-56 Metallic grey with the TS-80 matt clear-coat.

Watch this space!

Last edited:
Back