• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Repair/replacement options for M Frame Gen 1 hinge?

NotGreatBob

Oakley Beginner
I just bought a pair of Gen 1 M Frames that were supposed to only be suffering a crack on top of one of the hinges. When I received them they were in great conditions -- except for the bottom part of that same hinge is almost completely missing.

I've been looking for these for years at a price I could stomach, and I thought getting them at $150 was a good deal, but it seems like this hinge isn't fixable.

And paying $200 for an entire replacement frame (which is all I can find on eBay and the other markets right now) is more than I want to pay.

Any suggestions? Are there other places to find replacement parts? Is it possible to fabricate something close to the hinge and glue it on? I could still return them and get my money back, but damn I'd hate to do that too.

Thank you!

IMG_9889.JPG

IMG_9888.JPG

IMG_9875.jpg

If you are from the states, keep an eye on Mercari or Depop. I picked up numerous Gen 1 and Gen 2’s for less than $60. Mercari prices became higher in the last 2 years. Good luck!

Hang around here and meet the requirements for the exchange section and I am sure someone will help you out. Might even be me.
If you are from the states, keep an eye on Mercari or Depop. I picked up numerous Gen 1 and Gen 2’s for less than $60. Mercari prices became higher in the last 2 years. Good luck!
Thank you for the replies. I'll keep my eyes open. It just seems they're all going for such crazy prices.

Related to this, when did they start etching Oakley on the lenses? I know the Revant history page says the etching only started with Gen 2, but the Gen 1s I've bought have that OAKLEY etching, and the person who sold them says they've been in her husband's possession the whole time.

Thank you for the replies. I'll keep my eyes open. It just seems they're all going for such crazy prices.

Related to this, when did they start etching Oakley on the lenses? I know the Revant history page says the etching only started with Gen 2, but the Gen 1s I've bought have that OAKLEY etching, and the person who sold them says they've been in her husband's possession the whole time.
IIRC the etching either started at the end of Gen I or shortly after Gen II started. It was not a clean break. Lenses could have easily been swapped along the way.

Back