• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Repaired broken X-metal frame...

X-metal

Oakley Expert
Hungary
I had one broken R1 frame.
The left lens rim was broken and one piece is missed.
I found one people who said "I'll do it for you".

I'll try to tell you how it's made. But my english is..........

This image is shows the repaired lens rim. Sorry, but i lost the before pictures... :sad:

R1 Lr6.jpg

If you have a furnace (over 1500 celsius), need to make a silicone pattern of the missing piece.

Silicone pattern inside the lens rim:

Sp 3.jpg

Without the lens rim:

Sp 2.jpg

Then fill in the silicone pattern with wax (you get a wax piece).
Need to put in the freezer for 1 hr.
Then this frozen wax piece need to put in plaster.
If the plaster will be hard, put in the furnace 3-5 times for hardening. (will be like stone, and flows out the wax)
This plaster pattern should be poured with liquid titanium (can use broken x-metal pieces. )...

Then cut the same place the original and the produced piece and solder together the two pieces. Then sanding and sandblasting (with aluminium oxide granule, not sand).

Sorry, but i don't have pictures for this steps... :sad:

And the final result (not 100% but i think it is very great job! :cool-20: ):
R1 Lr3.jpg

R1 Lr4.jpg

The lens rims waiting for the polishing. And I'll have a custom R1 with straight arms. The 17'th piece in my R1 collection.

I have never seen x metal repaired the way you describe. I'm pretty amazed. Nice work to whomever did the job.

Awesome! The lost-wax casting you describe is basically what they used to cast x-metals in the first place, to the best of my knowledge. You should open a new x-metal factory! ;)

Yes, lots of people have failed to solder x-metals, so if you used something that works, we'd really like to know...

Back