• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Repairing Nose on a Mag Switch Frame

Please post pictures (preferably including the "during" process)! I would be interested.

I've never seen a fake magnesium frame on eBay, and I've bought 4-5 of them over the years. It's just that they can be expensive. Anyhow, it sounds like you've definitely got skills I don't have, so I'll barack from the sidelines!!

They're not so much fake Mags but they've aped the style and molded a plastic version. They've done the same with a lot of Oakley frames. The way they get around being accused of outright piracy is that they list them as "Genuine Oakley Style". They've got some balls, too - they have asking prices ranging from $70 to $80 up to a few hundred dollars! If I had a few hundred to spend on shades, I'd use it to buy a nice set of refurbed Juliets, a mint Mag Switch or something similar, NOT a $2.75 molded plastic "tribute".

I'll definitely post pics when I start working on these. I'm not too afraid to get my hands dirty and open up the tool kits. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one - I've had my share of "patients" die on the table.

Jacob tried, but it didn't work. At the very least they have to be trimmed.
Having to adapt a part doesn't scare me all that much. I'm probably looking at having to use some kind of epoxy in the process of getting these wearable anyway - I know there's no way that I'll ever repair / rebuild these to anything close to factory spec. I've got a superhero / science fiction project in the works and was going to have one of the characters wearing Mags, preferably not mine if we could find a decent set cheap (the budget isn't exactly on par with The Avengers). Now that I've got this one in pieces, I'm toying with the idea of customizing them with bits from other Oakleys. So any suggestions along along those line are also welcome.

They're not so much fake Mags but they've aped the style and molded a plastic version. They've done the same with a lot of Oakley frames. The way they get around being accused of outright piracy is that they list them as "Genuine Oakley Style". They've got some balls, too - they have asking prices ranging from $70 to $80 up to a few hundred dollars! If I had a few hundred to spend on shades, I'd use it to buy a nice set of refurbed Juliets, a mint Mag Switch or something similar, NOT a $2.75 molded plastic "tribute".

I'll definitely post pics when I start working on these. I'm not too afraid to get my hands dirty and open up the tool kits. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one - I've had my share of "patients" die on the table.
If Oakley didn't make then it's fake.

If Oakley didn't make then it's fake.
Well, yeah. That was kinda my point. I don't know how they've gotten away with it so far. There have always been cheap knockoffs, I even had a $5 pair of plastic Mag Switchs a few months before I got lucky and acquired my real Mags (I traded a stack of imported Jackie Chan DVDs with the owner of a motorcycle shop / Oakley dealer in Wisconsin for a New In-Box set of Mags; out of all the deals I've made over the years, this will always be one of my favorites).
I get that some people like the look and just can't afford or can't justify the expense, which is why I'll usually give the $5 ones out there a pass. When you have the unmitigated gall to slap a price tag on these that aren't far off from what the real ones sell for, that's just taking advantage. I filed a complaint with eBay.

Back