• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replace Vintage Frogskin Lenses

• Thread starter Tobson
  • Start date
T

Tobson

Hi guys,

I got a first generation (made in Japan) black matte frogskins on ebay and I wanted to replace the lenses. According to some forum posts the replacement lenses for the current version should fit.

So I got a pair of replacement lenses and wanted to take the old ones out. They did not move a bit. I watched a couple of youtube videos how the current gen lenses are popped out and these do not even bulge. Is it supposed to be that hard, or did the previous owner glue them in?

Best
T

I doubt the previous owner would use glue (unless he's dumb)

Are the current lenses polarized?

No, they are not polarized (at least my monitor brightness does not change with rotating the lens). Are they supposed to pop out the front as-well, like the 3 Gen ones? I attached some pictures, looks real to me but maybe the experts can spot a fake?

Edit: there is no TM after frogskins, all other samples I have found had it. But why would you fake everything and then not the TM? Was there a period where it was not registered yet and they put the TM there later on?

1469-1400205087-52f0e33f6fcdfbda88deb0b2ecdfd427.jpg

1470-1400205092-5c1435972af47237337ffd29325a4e35.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
anybody have a hint how to take those lenses out? Preferably somebody who has a first gen pair.

Edit: Ok, I finally got lens out and while I don't have the comparison to a to date Frogskin, judging from the youtube videos I have seen, it seems like I needed to apply a lot more force. As the aftermarket lens I have (Seek Optics) did not seem to have a 100% accurate fit I decided to put the original lens back in. That took even more force and my finger tips still hurt 8 h later. Maybe aging 20 years made the frame a little more stiff. One thing to note, this frame was super robust, no creaking, no bulging, I am pretty sure some China copy would have snapped under the amount of force I applied.

Edit 2: Even though I feel a little stupid talking to myself (seems like nobody in this forum wants to - or can contribute). I got my hands on a contemporary Gen 3 Frogskins today and the lenses pop out very easily. Even more so when compared to the two first Gen I now own. Additionally, maybe of some interest to some - the Seek lenses had a pretty good fit in that frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tobson!

I couldn't help but reply to your post after finally replacing my "1st Gen" (1990) Frogskins lenses at my local Oakley store after being told directly by Oakley on the phone that new lenses will not fit the old ones. I am the original owner. The new lenses fit perfectly just like the old ones and the dimensions were exact. The only thing different about yours is that mine indeed have the TM next to the frogskins on the inside temple. I know it's been a while since your post, but for what it's worth..,you can bring new life to your "1st Gen" Frogskins!

I fit new school lenses in my Gen 1's - they just took some strength to pop them out, the new ones went in FAIRLY easily though. Just dont break em ;)

Good luck!

Tobson!

I couldn't help but reply to your post after finally replacing my "1st Gen" (1990) Frogskins lenses at my local Oakley store after being told directly by Oakley on the phone that new lenses will not fit the old ones. I am the original owner. The new lenses fit perfectly just like the old ones and the dimensions were exact. The only thing different about yours is that mine indeed have the TM next to the frogskins on the inside temple. I know it's been a while since your post, but for what it's worth..,you can bring new life to your "1st Gen" Frogskins!
did you get the replacement lens for the lx with metal earpiece or other with plastic earpiece? SKU model#?

Back