• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replacement Lens Trap...

I have managed to avoid ever actually using aftermarket lenses-but it came at great cost; I had 3 Romeos at one time and had to spend a total of nearly $300 for 3 pairs of lenses to be custom cut from other Oakley donor lenses. I'm assuming that, while better than aftermarket, that custom cutting likely is somewhat lesser as well given what you note about where to cut the profile inside the lens blank. But yes, as big bopper noted-we are pushed into aftermarket or custom cuts because Oakley ceases support not only for lenses but unobtanium as well for many models once they leave production. And, oddly, there are certain models for which lenses are available to purchase on oakley.com but you have to "back in" to them...if you search for example Monster Dog in the search field on oakley.com-nothing. BUT if you google Monster Dog lenses? You get an active link that allows you to purchase the lenses. This is true for replacement lenses on other discontinued models as well.

Jim, why does the ruby lenses differs from the 1st gen to the newer release which has more yellow than red? can oakley make a more redish tint on the ruby lenses? I wish oakley can make a super real ruby lens that has more red tint on it
You have to realize that my best information is based on Oakley history from 1975 (May 1st to be exact) until November 2007. While I do still speak to the boys, it is more high level discussion. I don't have time... nor do they, to answer all questions about current production or methodology. Sorry I can't be of more help. I will invite a few from the current Oakley team to come to the Oakley Collector's Day at RED Studios. Maybe they will better be able to answer your questions.

Jim

Can you ask them them to continue making replacement lenses for discontinued models then? Pointless making an x-metal frame that will last a lifetime if there aren't any lenses to put in them.
^this
Oh, and more lens colorways would be appreciated like purple/violet, red red(not red, purple, gold, or yellow in different angles)

Jim, why does the ruby lenses differs from the 1st gen to the newer release which has more yellow than red? can oakley make a more redish tint on the ruby lenses? I wish oakley can make a super real ruby lens that has more red tint on it
This was a discussion that has been beat into the ground. First, there aren't "generations" to the lenses. They are done in batches as was explained at the Co-Pilot event and in many other discussions. The red, from what was told, is the hardest color to produce consistently and has the highest loss ratios. The color varies due to the time spent in the chamber from what was explained to us at the event. Less time equates to a more "fire-esque" tone, more time makes for a darker red/purple like everyone calls 1st gen. That was also a part of the reason they said, that Ruby came with a higher price point from the beginning. As the time is lessened, the losses diminish, but so does the color. Also, if you look at frogs, rigs, and virtually any shield lens, or very flat lens, the Ruby is much much nicer, not exactly sure why that is, but I think that has more to do with the way light is reflected off the surface being that they are toric and not spherical lenses. I could be entirely wrong though...

like others have said we are really limited with options when the lenses we need are discontinued. So we either sit with expensive glasses that are unusable or look for aftermarket lenses to get use out of the frames we have.

I already knew all of this info but it's great to tell it to the people that don't.

Also realize that while Jim still knows people at FHR, they still probably won't make lenses for discontinued models. Sadly that's just how it is.

Being an echo here but the fair argument I see is discontinued models. Whether it be because people want to preserve the original lenses while still being able to use the frames, or need replacement lenses period, aftermarket companies have been go-to options.

For a person who wants a "beater lens"...whole point of opting for an Oakley pair is because it's the more ideal beater lens. The additional colors argument...kinda split on that one. No one is really in the wrong for having an aesthetic preference, just have to understand the functional performance takes a hit, and not judge the whole pair's quality because of it.

that is what i have been saying this whole time...buy oakley for their optics, not only for the design. this is why i only go oem. aftermarket lenses are crap imo....

Can you ask them them to continue making replacement lenses for discontinued models then? Pointless making an x-metal frame that will last a lifetime if there aren't any lenses to put in them.

+1 \Not only for x metal frames.

3c2dh8ca.jpg

Attachments

• 3c2dh8ca.jpg
    3c2dh8ca.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 212
Back