• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replacement Lens Trap...

We all need R1 replacement lens, please..pretty plz..plzz So tied betwenn wearing the scratched up R1 lens or settle for linegear.. We r being forced to use aftermarket stuffs ;((( Or yes, very well cut ur own OEM O-lens, but then again not everyone has a Dr.Chop in their country hah Ive consulted my aunt who is an authorized O dealer, even she could not cut me an R1 from an Oakley donor lens. Just sayin'

I think there are a pair on Ebay for $359.00 !!!
lol and Oakley are not making money off of those used items so I don't have an idea of why would they stop making them. I understand not making anymore xmetals because of operational costs of making versus profit margins, but making lenses for discontinued pair should be as easy to manufacture as the current production lenses. Oakley is losing a lot of profit :punish: Make no mistake, I would rather give Oakley my money knowing the quality and R&D put on their lenses than aftermarket ones.
Come to think of it, creating this thread is like disturbing a bee hive. lol

Nights, you know Oakley stores carry Violet Fuel Cell lenses right? My local store has them on the OCP wall or you can purchase them outright. Also the other lenses you mentioned are available through customer service most likely. Just because you can't click buy it now on a website doesn't mean they don't exist.

Yep. On a whim a couple months ago I called Oakley customer service looking to see if they still had some Unknown replacement lenses laying around and lo and behold they had some Black and Gold Iridium sets. And only $25 a set too. You never know until you call.

Would it be absurd to suggest that all Radar/Radarlock tints be available purchase options for all shapes (Path, Pitch, Edge, etc)? Don't know the manufacturing process precisely, but I assume there's that point where the lens is set with the curvature (and maybe iridium firing process already) and just has to be cut to whichever shape.

The expected downside would be that orders would take longer to complete as the most efficient way to do this is by demand, though. No way could one expect Oakley to just make up excess amounts of lenses.

I'll see what I can do...

Jim
That would be great thanks. And the business case is pretty simple, Oakley is losing money they could otherwise be making.

And actually (here's a million dollar idea) why doesn't Oakley just offer a custom lense service for everything they've made? Why not just charge a bit of a premium (say 25 bucks over list) for cutting custom lenses? They could put it right on their website and make a mint. Same as they do for customs, you could get etchings on it etc...

Seriously, I went out and bought Plaintiff lenses in Chrome and Emerald for my Romeo1 and had an optomitrist cut them. I'd happily have just given all that money to Oakley instead. And most people just go and get 3rd party lenses because they want different colours or can't get the OEM lenses cut for their Romeos. Tons of people would buy from Oakley and get multiple lense colours and swap them out from time to time. I know I would.

Oakley is missing out on a lot of money here.

PS, if this happens I want a 5 percent cut for coming up with the idea... :)

That would be great thanks. And the business case is pretty simple, Oakley is losing money they could otherwise be making.

And actually (here's a million dollar idea) why doesn't Oakley just offer a custom lense service for everything they've made? Why not just charge a bit of a premium (say 25 bucks over list) for cutting custom lenses? They could put it right on their website and make a mint. Same as they do for customs, you could get etchings on it etc...

Seriously, I went out and bought Plaintiff lenses in Chrome and Emerald for my Romeo1 and had an optomitrist cut them. I'd happily have just given all that money to Oakley instead. And most people just go and get 3rd party lenses because they want different colours or can't get the OEM lenses cut for their Romeos. Tons of people would buy from Oakley and get multiple lense colours and swap them out from time to time. I know I would.

Oakley is missing out on a lot of money here.

PS, if this happens I want a 5 percent cut for coming up with the idea... :)
The process in that would be much more costly than profitable I would imagine. If you look at it from a corporate point of view you would have to create a new department for taking and processing the orders, separate shipping departments for just those orders so there is no mix ups with retail/web, dedicate specific machinery for the production of 1-2 item type orders, which if you have ever seen the iridium chambers, cnc lens cutting equip and so on, it isn't set up for making 1-2 piece batches, and then hope nothing goes awry. I can't imagine what it actually costs to run one batch of lenses from start to finish (well, post blank creation). Those Iridium machines don't look cheap to fire up. The only real way to do it is to release specific colors for specific frames, manufacture the thousands of lenses, or at least hundreds, and then add them to availability. Oh, I mean basically do what they already do except bring back the disco'd parts.

This topic is quite similar to that of trying to find replacement parts for classic cars. The manufacturers don't maintain inventory on stuff that has long since been disco'd, and those who have them get what they are asking for said parts because nobody else does. It is a supply and demand situation. In these though, lenses, screws, rubber parts..they don't really take up a ton of space for warehousing and so on, so it only makes sense to have a supply of product out there and make that money. I mean really, from a profit stand point, these parts sell for more than the glasses ever did on ebay, so it's pure profit there. Re-release Romeo hardware and don't give it away like before, sell the upper and lower replacement parts along with screws for $50 each kit. people will pay it all day long and be damn happy since to get it now costs about 3 times that amount. Lenses, if clowns pay $385 for a lens set on a glass that cost $350 when new, there CLEARLY is room for profit there. Re-introduce them at $125 price point and add the option for custom etching...bet people will pop $140-$150 a set...Wait, I know they will. You won't get that following for say a Gascan, Canteen, or even old Straight Jacket. You will for Zeros, X Metals, and probably the flat Razor Blade/Blades lenses (the originals)...I have an active app and resume there, I would gladly take a position to implement a true relaunch of vintage stuff for repair/refurb...Gladly.

Back