• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replacement Lens Trap...

oakley doesnt do "custom cuts". when you do an OCP order of a frame that is part of the custom program, there is often an option to choose a lens not available in a mass version OR as a replacement lens-but you cant just ask for any color you want and someone goes and cuts it, that would be too expensive because youre doing one set at a time vs batches.

I am pretty sure the blanks are as you state, one size with it's base curve and style (spherical or toric) and then cut to fit specific frame from there. I highly doubt there are individual blanks for each style as that would make virtually zero sense. That is probably a part of the reason they use the laser to determine the best optic center point of the lens and then make the cut. I can't remember if they are coated after or before cutting...

If that's how they do it, there's no reason they can't still make Romeo/xx/mars/etc lenses. They already have the blanks. They just have to hit "go" and have the machine cut them. It's not like they have to cut each by hand.

They did custom lenses for Juliet... don't see why they couldn't do this for everything else. They have the materials, just cut it on demand. I also don't see how they would need to create a new dept for anything as they already do custom cut lenses for active models. Why would custom cutting older models change anything?

There may be more to it but I really don't see what the problem is here. They are making the materials anyway all they have to do is cut them so I don't see how inventory would be a problem. Should be pretty easy for them to do.
Like I said... I don't know if it's possible. Maybe there are reasons why it can't be done.

I just don't think that it would be that hard for them to do. Even if they limited the colourway to say... fire, black, emerald and ruby (or even just black) they'd still make a crapload of money.

Thanks for clearing that up. The reason why I asked was because I was assuming you couldn't simply ask for any lens to be custom cut but I wanted to make sure. If Oakley would make a batch or two of black iridium lenses for each of the x-metals in the series, I would think they could sell them (and put a pretty good mark-up on it with people still willing to pay for it). I doubt they would make very many though, think about how many people you see walking around in Romeo, Mars, Romeo 2, etc. frames.

While we're on the topic of replacement lenses: has anyone seen the new retail packaging they're using for sport frame lenses at the O Store? The lenses are now on a rack out on the floor, and they come in a clear plastic box. I saw lenses for Radar, Flak, Fast Jacket, and M Frame (I think) packaged this way. I wish I had taken a picture of the display when I saw it.

I LIKE that; that's much nicer than having to go ask "do you have this, do you have that, let me check the coating tint" etc because the lenses are in a drawer behind the counter.

They did custom lenses for Juliet... don't see why they couldn't do this for everything else. They have the materials, just cut it on demand. I also don't see how they would need to create a new dept for anything as they already do custom cut lenses for active models. Why would custom cutting older models change anything?

There may be more to it but I really don't see what the problem is here. They are making the materials anyway all they have to do is cut them so I don't see how inventory would be a problem. Should be pretty easy for them to do.
When did they do this? I don't recall anytime you could simply order a "custom" lens for Juliet. Maybe in OCP they had certain offerings, or maybe in the RX program, but other than standard offerings, I don't recall ever seeing a "custom" lens available. Last guy that had "custom" lenses from the factory got nailed with half a million in stolen product, so I think that closed those doors lol.

And yeah, there are large logistical problems. They would have to fire the machines for a couple lenses here and there, or make people wait long enough until there was enough demand for said color (not necessarily said style) to be processed and then fire it. Who knows, maybe they could, but just don't want to. When a production line is set to run certain stuff, it is kind of a bitch to stop it, interrupt, make a dozen of something else, then reset all the cad machines and so on to go back to business. I think that is pretty much why they don't do it. Like I mentioned previously, the only way it could be a viable option is to create an entire department with equipment, dedicated people and shipping just for that purpose. This way there is no interference with production schedules and so on. Ever tried to buy ammo lately? Yeah, there is very little to be had if any at all. Why? Because they run things in batches. They tool up for "x" caliber, run the full amount, break down, and reset for the next caliber. There is no "stop the production line" to make a "quick" batch of something else. Kind of the same principle. In a perfect world, they would serve the customers with such an option of truly custom options, but presently we live in the real world, and the 2 are drastically different.

When did they do this? I don't recall anytime you could simply order a "custom" lens for Juliet. Maybe in OCP they had certain offerings, or maybe in the RX program, but other than standard offerings, I don't recall ever seeing a "custom" lens available. Last guy that had "custom" lenses from the factory got nailed with half a million in stolen product, so I think that closed those doors lol.

And yeah, there are large logistical problems. They would have to fire the machines for a couple lenses here and there, or make people wait long enough until there was enough demand for said color (not necessarily said style) to be processed and then fire it. Who knows, maybe they could, but just don't want to. When a production line is set to run certain stuff, it is kind of a bitch to stop it, interrupt, make a dozen of something else, then reset all the cad machines and so on to go back to business. I think that is pretty much why they don't do it. Like I mentioned previously, the only way it could be a viable option is to create an entire department with equipment, dedicated people and shipping just for that purpose. This way there is no interference with production schedules and so on. Ever tried to buy ammo lately? Yeah, there is very little to be had if any at all. Why? Because they run things in batches. They tool up for "x" caliber, run the full amount, break down, and reset for the next caliber. There is no "stop the production line" to make a "quick" batch of something else. Kind of the same principle. In a perfect world, they would serve the customers with such an option of truly custom options, but presently we live in the real world, and the 2 are drastically different.
Half a million in stolen product? lol...

Sorry, I should've clarified you're right, I meant you could order custom Juliets and choose the lenses with etchings in them. I just don't see how it would be any different just ordering the lenses themselves.

As for the custom lenses you could very well be right. I would think that they would've been doing this already and they haven't. Maybe there's reason for this. Personally I think it would be a money maker but I could be completely wrong.

CNC wouldn't be quite that difficult, but from a logistics standpoint, and seeing as they're pretty much at capacity from what I hear... it doesn't make sense. It very much matters what they're making, what their production schedule is, how their machines runs, how outdated they might be, too many factors to even start guessing at.

It would be a good load leveler if they had downtime, but I doubt they do. Which is probably part of the push for the much-abhorred Chinese involvement. Invest X number of dollars domestic and increase production a small amount, invest X overseas with less overhead and get double or better.

CNC wouldn't be quite that difficult, but from a logistics standpoint, and seeing as they're pretty much at capacity from what I hear... it doesn't make sense. It very much matters what they're making, what their production schedule is, how their machines runs, how outdated they might be, too many factors to even start guessing at.

It would be a good load leveler if they had downtime, but I doubt they do. Which is probably part of the push for the much-abhorred Chinese involvement. Invest X number of dollars domestic and increase production a small amount, invest X overseas with less overhead and get double or better.
Considering all the lens machines probably don't require much in tooling changes to switch from one style to another, you are partially right...However, in the midst of a production run set for a certain style, it would be a nightmare I am sure to stamp out even a couple hundred custom orders...Simply because I doubt very highly there would be 20 of the same thing, so that means flip programs for say a dozen X Squared, 2 dozen XX, 100 Romeo 1, 50 Juliet, and so on...It would be a royal pain in the ass. Then to hope there are no flaws during coating and so on. Just a whole can of worms I am sure...But wouldn't it be bad ass if they made a section of the lobby store that had a small run coating machine, a tabletop cnc router, and you could do that stuff all there? I am not even remotely versed in how long the coating process is and what not, but that would be freakin sick!! Like the little ladies stamping out tortillas at your favorite mexican eatery...Oakley Opmpa Loompas hahaha

Back