• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replacement Lenses Effect On Resale Value?

PeterLloyd

Oakley Beginner
Hey, guys! Just found this forum after finding a pair of Old Glorys and wanting to get the information on them here.

I've been collecting Frogskins on-and-off for a while, mostly trying to score the (in my opinion) cooler limited collaborations than the broader releases. I mostly collect because I like to wear the glasses, and as such my glasses show a little bit of wear sometimes. My CMONs, for example, sadly have one arm that tends to pop off sometimes after getting dropped. Mostly, though, my frames are in perfect shape but some lenses have a couple scratches. If I ever wanted to sell these, would swapping out the lenses with new, mint condition lenses help the value? For example, I have a pair of DQMs that I love, but I was shocked when I saw how much some people were willing to pay for a pair. I've only worn them a handful of times since they're kind of hard to match, but still they'd probably be better with a fresh pair of fire iridium lenses. I didn't know if Frogskins were like other collectibles where you can tell if a part has been replaced, or if the frame is the most important aspect and as long as the colorways match nobody cares. Just curious. Thanks guys!

PS - I have a pair of pink camouflage Paul Smiths that I've worn a ton . . . probably could never sell them in the shape that they're in now. The camo pattern really fades after a while. No big deal since they were my first pair of frogs and I'd probably never sell them, but a word to the wise if you have resale in mind I guess!

replacement lenses usually doesnt affect value as long as its authentic oakley lenses and correct to the original. alot of limited editions have etched lenses so you got to watch out for that. otherwise all good

Thanks for the info, guys. Happily none of my lenses are etched. It's my DQMs and my Primitives that I might consider selling, so luckily it's easy to find those lenses, even if I have to cannibalize another pair. :) (And happily I save my boxes!)

what everyone else has said, as long as the replacement lenses are original Oakley lenses, in the correct colour/tint and there's no etching involved, you're good to go. i swapped in new fire iridium lenses into my DQMs as well, doesn't bother me much. =)

If you decide to sell your DQM let me know I'm looking for a pair.

Back