• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replacing Lens-Oakley Mars

Sorry to jam this thread but I am curious if others have noticed that the c-clamps are a different color. The Mars I bought appears to have had one clip replaced already and is a different color from the other which I am guessing is original. Any suggestion on coloring these? I am also curious if heat treating the c-clips would help both with brittle nature and color so they more closely match. In my case the replacement clips that were included with my Mars are a bright shiny silver color whereas the X-metal is sort of a dark grey.

Sorry to jam this thread but I am curious if others have noticed that the c-clamps are a different color. The Mars I bought appears to have had one clip replaced already and is a different color from the other which I am guessing is original. Any suggestion on coloring these? I am also curious if heat treating the c-clips would help both with brittle nature and color so they more closely match. In my case the replacement clips that were included with my Mars are a bright shiny silver color whereas the X-metal is sort of a dark grey.

heat treating it would make it more brittle because youd be hardening it. You'd have to anneal it. I started using steel/aluminum wire and it works just fine and makes lens changes roughly 1000 times easier

I am thinking about doing my own video of this Mars clip thingy. Maybe get my wife to video it - start to finish. No promises but perhaps a nice way to pay it forward. Maybe an iterative approach - get some comments and then adjust the vid until there is a good consensus of a few different tools and recommended approaches.

Thanks again qtrain23 for the lens cutting info. Now I can see I have some options for custom cutting some lenses for my Mars.

Any recommendations or maybe I should try it myself. I have have a Dremel tool. The lenses are a bit pricey to "practice" on though. Lots of folks point to Dr Chop and X-man. Perhaps I will check some local optometry shop see if they can recommend something.

i cut mars lenses all the time as well if you wanna go that route. I use a belt sander, an xacto knife, a dremel, and a few fine nail files, not necessarily in that order.

Xmetalmaniac or infinitehero ..........there are no better people to cut lenses......some people cobble in their garage but for me I go to the dudes who do this stuff every day.

Nice thread very informative about the c clips i am very hesitant about changing the mars lense i changed mines once and did not attempt to do it again because of scratching the damn frame i remember putting clear tape on the frame to prevent scratching and small needle fliers still ending up with a little bit of scratch i was gonna post if there was a special tool to take the clips out i guess none a video would be nice...

Latest Posts

Back