• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Reproducing Bob Heads And Torsos

Status
Not open for further replies.
The legal issue is one of the reasons you would not be able to sell them for any profit or you would be doing the same thing as selling fake oakleys

As long as he does not claim they are oakley and does not make a profit he is ok. We all know it is not an oakley product and I believe it has to be different enough to not infringe on copyright.

Cool idea, check with Oakley they own the design patents and intellectual property don't want to court. When you do this it will immediately de-value the originals....

Cool idea, check with Oakley they own the design patents and intellectual property don't want to court. When you do this it will immediately de-value the originals....

No necessarily..... do fake X-metals devalue the originals?

No necessarily..... do fake X-metals devalue the originals?

I agree and disagree at the same time, fake X Metals dont devalue the original because they look like crap most of the time and there are not that many out there, He wants to reproduce the bob which means they want them to look like the originals but are not a true Oakley product, nobody wants one that looks different than the original except maybe a different color! There is a legal issue here that is similar to producing fake sunglasses! Now dont get me wrong I have wanted to do the same thing for quite some time now just havent had time to do it but I dont belive he can make any profit off of these or he could get in trouble, (Which noone wants cuz these will be sweet). But yes IMO also this will devalue the originals some since there are not that many out there vs. like 1 million X Metals! But thats just my opinion!

There are DEFINATELY legal issues with this, you can not reproduce or similarily reproduce an item with copyrights or logos of which Oakley has both on Bob Heads... I at one time thought of this as well, it was not worth the hassle or legal ramifications that would likely ensue. However if someone was to come up with their own "UNIQUE" idea as others have in this forum (ie; stands or key chains) it would be ok as long as the likeness is not too similar in style... Sorry, but its the truth and the law...

There are DEFINATELY legal issues with this, you can not reproduce or similarily reproduce an item with copyrights or logos of which Oakley has both on Bob Heads... I at one time thought of this as well, it was not worth the hassle or legal ramifications that would likely ensue. However if someone was to come up with their own "UNIQUE" idea as others have in this forum (ie; stands or key chains) it would be ok as long as the likeness is not too similar in style... Sorry, but its the truth and the law...

Yeah from a legal aspect this is probably true because of the Oakley logos right

Here is my 2 cents. If they are not being sold as Oakley bobheads and they are not being mass produced there should be no problem. Oakley does not sell these. Now if some are made and a few people on the forum buy them as I said before there should be no problem. Now I would not put them up on ebay or have a web site selling them. You don't think the key chains are copyright infringement?? It is close enough to the Oakley "O". Now if they had a store or website selling these. They would get popped for sure. They make them and sell them to a few members on here. No one will bother with that. I work everyday with products and you know how much stuff I see that looks like APPLE. A ton. China reproduces everything to look like what ever is the hot selling item at that moment. Does anyone know if Oakley has a copyright on them?? Just because the O is on them does not mean they are registered. My guess is they are not. Why would they? It is a mannequin head. They do not copyright the display cases. You could make them too. Now if you put the O on there and sell them in mass as an Oakley product.......that is a problem. Here is an idea let's call them "bretthead" problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back