• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Restore my first pair of Oakley's or leave them as is

96.SVT.COBRA

I should Work at Oakley
It's something I've been debating about for quite a while now which is restoring my original pair of Oakley's I purchased new back in 1999-2000. They are Emerald FMJ XX's and are in non-wearable shape at the moment due to my everyday use and less than stellar upkeep. I could take pictures of them but I think I would be banned for the condition they are in at the moment :(

With that being said though they are quite sentimental and I am torn about if I should leave them as is or restore them back to their former glory. I have aquired all of the pieces to restore them minus sending them to Chop and having them painted but one of my concerns is I will loose the "Oakley" on the nose bridge and for some reason it's bugging me. The more I think about it, the more I want to leave these 'as is' and look to purchase a set of glasses I could restore and use a a wearable pair to represent my first set.

What have some of ya'll done with your first pairs if you still have them? I don't have a huge case (yet) but I will display them proudly in poor condition when that time arises if they are still in used shape. Thanks for your input everyone.

So I had my first pair stolen... Even though they were just half jackets (1st version) with carbon fiber print I would pay 300 bucks to have that exact pair back... Just the way it is. If it was me I would probably send them to chop for a seal coat. Preserving the wear and tear and then set them up on a stand and display them proudly. The first pair isn't supposed to impress or be the best, but something you can look at and know started it all :)

(Seems strange to say all that about a pair of glasses but we are an exceptional group... Lol)

So I had my first pair stolen... Even though they were just half jackets (1st version) with carbon fiber print I would pay 300 bucks to have that exact pair back... Just the way it is. If it was me I would probably send them to chop for a seal coat. Preserving the wear and tear and then set them up on a stand and display them proudly. The first pair isn't supposed to impress or be the best, but something you can look at and know started it all :)

(Seems strange to say all that about a pair of glasses but we are an exceptional group... Lol)

The clearcoat is a good idea to preserve the look of the frame. What about the lenses and rubber pieces though? Should I replace those with new items as well? I'm not sure chop can reuse the rubber pieces as they are starting to turn loose like dead skin and the lenses have multiple scratches on em.

I would preserve the frames, change the lenses and rubbers, that way if you feel like wearing them, they would feel like new but look the same. ;)
I agree with this, rubber for sure could use replacement, lenses it's kinda up to you, if you have memories attached to specific marks I would keep them, if not, new is always good ;)

I would keep your first pair as is. You have multiple memories with that pair and I wouldn't try to fix them up. You mentioned you have parts for a whole new pair? Why not start wearing those?

I would keep your first pair as is. You have multiple memories with that pair and I wouldn't try to fix them up. You mentioned you have parts for a whole new pair? Why not start wearing those?

I'll need to source a frame for the rubber and lenses but it shouldn't be terribly expensive to find a trashed frame. I may do that as the first pair can stay exactly as is.Thanks everyone for the input.

Back