• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Restoring Half-Jacket Frames

CCH Auto Appearance

Oakley Beginner
Well, after 8 years of heavy use and abuse, my original pair of Half Jackets are looking a bit worse for wear, and I figure it's about time to give them the restoration they deserve. I've already ordered a new rubber kit and XLJ lenses from Oakley, but now I'm trying to locate a couple additional parts and I'm coming up empty.

1) Did Oakley ever make HJ frames with metal/chrome icons? If so, is there any source to get a pair separate from the frames?

2) Is there any way to get a decal/template/etc. for the "Oakley" script on the nose bridge of the frame?

The pair I'm restoring were originally Dark Grey with Ice Polarized lenses, but I'm going to do a mild custom with the restoration, making the frame either jet black or metallic black, and the icons red (or red anodized chrome if I can find a set) and red nose bridge script (again, if I can find a source). I'll be putting a black rubber kit and black iridium polarized lenses on them.

Any leads would be much appreciated. Thanks folks!

If your frame still has the icons they can be painted. Oakley has only recently made replacement icons for frames. You might be able to find someone selling spare icons, but they were never directly offered.

As far as the rest, we have a guy here who specializes in frame mods - paint, chrome, decals, and more. Give @dr.chop a buzz.

I do still have the original icons which I removed from the arms last night, but they are silver plastic. I have done chrome paint on automotive trim parts before (I have a detailing/customizing business), but have never had much luck trying to anodize on top of the paint. If it comes down to it I'll just use red paint and call it a day, but I thought the anodized chrome would look slick instead.

I was looking at Dr. Chop's thread, and he definitely does awesome work. I'll drop him a line and see if he can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Hmm... looks like I may have misidentified the material of the icons I have at first... was just cleaning them up and it looks like they are actually a satin finished metal wrapped around a plastic backing. That being the case I should be able to polish them up and anodize them as normal. Awesome!

Also, you have a PM, Doc...

Well, made a little bit of progress... the icons actually polish up quite nicely! Top is the original satin finish, bottom has gone through three stages of compounding/polishing:

oiconBA.JPG

someone say my name?? hahahaha
Hello I have a pair of half jacket photochromic lens with the ghost black frame the oakley on the bridge is wearing off any idea how to get it looking like new ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Back