• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Retirement

greg

Oakley Expert
Philadelphia
Hey guys, I want to thank all of you for understanding the side of myself that no one else truly understands. My love for sunglasses and oakleys specifically. I often read posts on this forum like the one I am writing now, about how oakleys consumed their lives, spending hours on end... Every day, day after day including waking up in the middle of the night to check the exchange and ebay to see if anything new was posted. Well after that started taking place 2 months ago....Its time to call it quits. I am retiring FOR GOOD. Collecting is doing more harm to me than good. As comical as this my sound in collecting oakleys, but financially I am doing alright... its just that it is consuming all of my time and my life.

So first and foremost, I want to thank @Dallas O Hog for his friendship and his advice he has shared with me over the year or two. I honestly believe there no greater forum member than Mike. Second, @Romeo Van Frogskinstein I cannot thank you enough for all of your time in your busy life. Ashley has been a role model to me. His collection is world class and even more so his character is supreme. Also, @MJLSr Thank you for all your wisdom and insight into dealing with problems that I have encountered. @thisguy I want to say I have a lot of respect for what your doing and the kind of collection you are building. I hope you achieve all of your goals in life... STAY FOCUSED. They're many more people I would like to thank and most of you, already know who you are !!!! Do I really need to mention @Leglessracing @David_Oakley @Gecko etc etc all of you guys know who you are!!!!!! Thank you soo much, We have done some epic deals!!!!

As for my collection, There will NOT be a fire sale (however if you want a Pb1, maybe we can do biz)... I think I will be holding on to most of my stuff to sell at a later date whenever I may need cash. Like I already mentioned, financially I am do great and partly because of this site. Instead of going out with friends, I often stay home to check the exchanges and communicate with all of you!!!!

Last but not least, I want to say thank you to @Hando for serving our country and I hope the care packages my friends and I sent to you have shown my respect admiration towards you and your unit. I hope one day you can snag an Atmos frog

Signing off,
Greg

Last edited:
This was me two years ago. I let it consume my life and it got out of hand. I took a step back and just let it sit. Now that i'm kinda getting back into it, i'm taking it easy.

It's good you've come to realize that there is life outside of Oakleys. Collecting is a hobby, not your full time job.

Take it easy and we'll see you again down the line :)

This site is a double edged sword. On the one hand it gets you all the information you need to make smart purchases, and to know when something is a good deal or whether to pass. On the other hand it puts all of the things many of us covet on center stage and puts some great deals in front of us too. I've had many occasions where there was something I really wanted that came up for a great price that I could have afforded, but it just wasn't the right time for me to buy and I had to talk myself out of it. This place can easily turn a casual enthusiast into a hardcore collector.

Sorry to hear this greg I hope your still sticking around for the company and conversation. But if not I understand and wish you the best.

I am sorry to hear about this. I know I had rough times in collecting but I managed to work through it. I hope you the best in your life and whatever you decide to do. Your collection was outstanding!! I am glad that we were able to communicate through the forum and you helped out my collection a lot, thank you!

good luck in life and your endeavors bro. i thought it was only me, but reading posts like this proves that i am not the only one feeling a burnout, although my life was not taken over by oaks, but rather my finances were (opposite of @greg). now that i got most of what i want (x metals and other vintage stuff, which can be very costly), i am just ho hum about finding the missing links in my collection.
there are even some days that i think of selling it all....

again, good luck brotha!!!

yea guys honestly I was on ebay and the forum for like 15 hrs per day searching and refreshing pages to see if bids increased from 5 mins since the last refresh. Its time to move my life in a different direction... I will always have one hell of a pit boss collection to stare at and remind myself how something you obsess over can ruin your life. I still think over the next three years I will buy 1 rb pb1, 1 ducatti pb1, and 1 tron to complete the entire pb1 collection. but I will only buy 1 per year. Then maybe come on here and sell the entire pb1 line as a whole!!!!! THAT WOULD BE EPIC

Latest Posts

Back