• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rivet popping, what does this mean?

nicosauve1

I should Work at Oakley
Humboldt County, CA
Notice one of the rivets is poking out on the inside? And on the outside, it's slightly recessed. Noticed this this afternoon, wasn't there when I received these, now after wearing twice I'm seeing this.
I can still wear it but don't know is it about to fall apart? Is it a recoverable frame?

photo1222_zps1d13343f.jpg
1222222_zpsed9f3dc3.jpg

Looks like one of your rivets is starting to slide out - to my knowledge, they're not actual 2-piece rivets joined from front and back and thus cannot "pop" apart - they're better described as a pin inserted from the back.

So, try to push it back flush in place from the back. Carefully.

Whether this is a symptom of a bigger problem and will keep happening, time will tell...

They look like this (pic taken from a member's ebay listing)
pin.jpg

If you have one working itself out it either was not seated very well or hole in the back of the flex coupler has gotten enlarged and the groove on the pin isn't grabbing the flex coupler very well.
Wiggle the coupler as you try to reinsert.
Wiggle it, just a little bit...

if it popped out, it'll happen again. My guess, the pin is worn and needs to be replaced by a new one. You can have The X-Man or someone else perform a tune-up which in this case will require new pins. Scinergy also sells top quality pins that are better than oem and better than the ones linegear are going to start selling because they actually have the "bump" to prevent slide out.

it don't wanna budge, and I don't wanna force it...
That is probably a good thing - if it was very loose that would probably be bad

...damnit
Pretty much :(

Wiggle it, just a little bit...
Yes, a LITTLE bit... we have seen others discover what is under the nose bridge the hard way with too much force, excessive wiggling could be b-b-b-bad!

If you could feel the pin clear through to the front it would probably be aligned correctly [enough] and you would be all clear to try and push it in and they would likely be safe to wear. That said without enough thru/aligned and the right angles to apply pressure, generally enabled with the right tool(s), you will probably have a difficult time getting enough leverage on it to get it in all the way as it should be - and it may not go in much further at all without said tools, especially if the pin and nose are proper as clearance is minimal. It really becomes a judgement call - I would go by the feel - if I could feel the pin in the front, even slightly recessed I would probably wear it. If not, then not ;)

I think your comment about it not being that way before says something... I can't stress enough how important it is to have the proper leverage, tools, and a steady hand so you don't do more harm than good.

X-man it is. Just got these.....I have 4 pairs of metals with nose bridges, some looser than others but mostly still sorta tight. But I know after the X-man touches them they don't budge, ever. And if he doesn't touch them, he will have to eventually, so why not just get it out of the way now.

Latest Posts

Back