• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rivet Removal Tool

• Thread starter nightpusher1
  • Start date
N

nightpusher1

A while back there was a thread where a member was organising the manufacture of a rivet removal tool, it generated a fair amount of interest.I went back and discovered the thread locked with no explaination of what had happened,did the project fizzle out?
Any how I still want to obtain one so if anybody has a source drop me a line please, failing that I will have to make one I guess.

The design fault had been mentioned in the thread. The screw action causes the extraction pin to walk off the rivit if not used extremely carefully. I'm currently working on a small press type tool that should avoid that, but I locked the thread until I've got something that'll work without risking possible damage.

Don't worry, I fully intend to make something available to make this process very user friendly.

Has anyone ever seen the actual Oakley rivet removal tool/machine? or a picture of it?

I heard it is quite a huge piece of equipment for JUST the purpose of punching & removing pins

Rep said "U can have it BUT its gonna cost u 10-15grand":hunter::hunter::hunter::hunter::hunter::hunter:

ive seen it a HQ.......too many people overthink this tool...use a piece of wood and a punch.....its not complicated. Unless your doing hundreds a week .....why use and expensive tool. Its not about the pin removal...its all about the correct alignment before the push....
That's what she said

I've seen the vids of a tool being used here previously. Isn't it just a basic chain break tool you can buy at any automotive / motorcycle parts store?
Here's the one I have and think it should work perfectly for this as it is made to keep the rivet aligned while extracting and inserting.

Amazon.com: Motorcycle Chain Cutter Breaker Riveting Rivet Tool: Automotive

i have not tried this tool on my glasses but i don't see why it wouldn't work.

Leather punch.
rotary-hand-sewing-leather-punch-3229-00.jpg

Found at Michaels craft store.

you can sand or grind down the tip of the original insert to the same size diameter as the shank and it will work great... I broke the original end so RonkPM made the threaded pin press that is used now.... Don't over think this. If you have the right tools it is simple. If you use a pin to align the holes, and freeze the rivets before installing them they will go in smooth as butter. If you do not align the holes you risk not pressing the rivet in straight and scoring the head.... There's the trade secret... have fun

Latest Posts

Back