• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rivet Removal Tool

• Thread starter nightpusher1
  • Start date
it doesn't take much pressure at all to press the pins out, or back in, especially if you freeze them first. In aviation most aluminum, and some steel rivets remain in the freezer until just before setting. the tool pictured above is a pin cannon plug pinning tool.

cool , thanks for the idea
I'll try not to break one of my juliets :errwhat:

it doesn't take much pressure at all to press the pins out, or back in, especially if you freeze them first. In aviation most aluminum, and some steel rivets remain in the freezer until just before setting. the tool pictured above is a pin cannon plug pinning tool.

Thanks for sharing!

In aviation,We dont freeze the rivits to decrease the diameter, we freeze them to keep the aluminum from artificially aging.by the time you get that pin ready to set they are already at room temperature.

That is true, but not the only reason. If you keep your rivets frozen, whether required or not, they will be easily shot into a correctly indexed and drilled pattern, it also helps if you are laying up something wet, or are going through 3 or more layers of metal. I have an A&P w.IA and a lot of time in metal and composite fab. I didn't really think the members of this forum really cared about the temper strength and hardness of aluminum rivets, just how to fit a round peg in a round hole a little bit easier.

Cool, got my A&P in 1990 from colorado aero - tech just outside of boulder.did some WWII aircraft restoration before getting into machining.also aluminum rivits will harden with age and the cold will retard the aging process.the single most important issue when installing a new pin is alignment and pin to hole size.too loose and it will fall out and too tight and youll gall the pin or bulge the nose casting.....believe me...ive done it and have had to buy several new bridges before i had it all figured out.......and as far as the pennys go......ugh...there horrible to align correctly.

I figured out the importance of alignment pretty quick... toasted a few rivets. luckily didn't bulge any though.... I am in need of a romeo 2 nose bridge. The original owner of the set thought that the rivets had to be drilled. toasted the bridge. If you know of, or have an extra, i'd be willing to buy it.

Just did the anno on these today... Plan on pinning them tonight. I'm making my own flex couplers now too.... can't seem to find any to buy....
image.jpg
image2.jpg

Just wanted to say that this is a very informative thread! I haven't had to do this yet but I know the day is coming where I need to tune up my Carbon juliets and I will be referring to this a lot! And when I mess them up I'll send them to the x man to fix ;)

Back