• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Road Prism v OO Red Iridium Polarized

new2O

Oakley Beginner
Hi, apologies in advance as I'm a newbie and have not much clue with all the technical specifics on lens tints/types. Also before posting I have real a lot of helpful threads on here and elsewhere but not specifically answering my query.

So my question is - I'm in to road biking (not competitive but few times a week for fitness) and had previously used the OO red iridum polarized lens in my fast jackets which worked v well indeed. So when I decided I fancied Radarlock Path as found this frame to be even better for cycling IMO, I initially went down the +O red polarized route - ended up getting the 2014 Tour de France special edition which came with the +O lens. Then I spotted the Radarlock Road prisms which had just been released at a good price so bought those aswell - but now having both I now need to decide which to keep.

I'm sure most will say it'll be down to personal preference but was curious from a technical/scientific standpoint whether I should be swayed one way or other, esp given the Polarized lens is nearly double the cost of the road prizm lens (here in UK anyway). I also see the 2015 TDF model has the Prizm lens as standard not the +O polarized, so not sure if thats a decision by Oakley knowing they should supply the best lens they have specifically for road cycling, or that its because theres a better profit supplying a cheaper lens to the model selling at same price point.

From a personal point of view having wore both theres not much in the lens when looking at them - but when they're on I'd say the Road prism 'brightens up' the view and things look sharper esp on surfaces like road/walls etc but there would be a touch of glare in brighter conditions, wereas the +O polarized have a 'calmer' general view and cope better I think in brighter conditions which I presume is down to polarized lens cutting out glare and therefore less eye fatigue. Unfortunately we're not blessed with too many bright days where I'm from :-( As an aside I'm told many road cyclists actually dont like using polarized because they are so good at cutting out the glare it makes stuff like broken glass on the road hard to pick up - which is obviously a nightmare for punctures on the bike.

So bottom line is ideally I'd like to have both lenses if money were not object but if I had to choose, which are best for my eye and be of biggest benefit as used mostly when road cycling...

Cheers...

Thanks guys for the quick feedback. Yip I read one of those posts already - had missed the other but after reading it which had interesting views, I'm sorta back to Sq 1 as one link bigs up the Road Prism being like HD compared to +O Red polarized, and other opinion favours the +O polarized lens.

So I guess it will just be a matter of personal preference which is understandable given that some people are lucky enough to be from areas which have many more sunny days than others (like me) so peoples need differ. Anyway as long as thats the case and not that theres some technical point that one might be better for your eyes than the other, esp as mentioned the polarized is so much more expensive - normally my logic works along the lines of if its more expensive theres a good reason cos its better in some way - maybe not the case here?

Prizm is slightly more costly than polarized if I remember right. ;)

Only the polarized Prizms (daily, deep water, shallow water) are more expensive than regular polarized; $20 markup for radarlock path replacements. While non-polar Prizms are also $20 more than non-polar regular, they're $30 cheaper than regular polar.

(Again, in radarlock path, US pricing)

Yes that's what I found here in UK - the road prism sunglasses retail at £205 where the TDF special edition which has the polarised OO Red iridium (the 2014 model) is £255. Cost of replacement lens is difficult to find for vented road prism but I know I did come across it on some Oakley reseller or other for around £60 which was pretty reasonable compared to £120 for the polarised lens. Pretty big price difference if the benefits/noticeable improvements between the lenses is so small to the point where some posts on other threads actually prefer the cheaper prism lens.

Just btw to kick any notion of common sense in to touch I actually hatched a cunning plan to be able to hold on to both lenses. I also bought a black iridium lens with the notion I could swap out the prism lens to keep for myself and give the wife the pair with the BI lens installed - she not worried about sport/performance just more how they look. But that idea might have backfired cos now I'm tempted to keep for myself as they do look pretty cool and would work well as my summer/ holiday casual shades. So now all of a sudden I've got 2pair of radarlock with 4 lenses which I wanna keep. Tried to justify as I sold my fast jackets for the first pair of radarlocks. I've half jackets (with a couple lenses) also which prob won't get a look in now. I'm not a collector, but am thinking this is how it all starts...lol:grin:

...Cost of replacement lens is difficult to find for vented road prism but I know I did come across it on some Oakley reseller or other for around £60 which was pretty reasonable compared to £120 for the polarised lens....
I am happy with my Radarlock frames but I've only found Radarlock vented road prizms in sets & split from sets on e-bay. I find it frustrating that Oakley do not sell these lenses separately yet.

Having tried my OO Red Polar Radars (not vented) on the bike in the drizzle, they suffered steaming, so I'm convinced vented is the way to go for cycling.
I tried on some road prizms back to back with my OO Red Polars in a shop recently. Colours looked similar, but putting on the prizms looked a little like cleaning some mist away. I really like the way the OO Red Polars cut glare so I may get them for my 'locks & wait for Oakley to release the road polars in lock vented because I guess they will do this in time.

...I'm not a collector, but am thinking this is how it all starts...lol:grin:
Sounds like you're no the only one. :biggrin: I got my first Oakleys about 18 months ago & am now up to 3 Radars/6 lenses, 1 Radarlocks/3 lenses & I feel I need more. :rolleyes:

I am happy with my Radarlock frames but I've only found Radarlock vented road prizms in sets & split from sets on e-bay. I find it frustrating that Oakley do not sell these lenses separately yet.
Having tried my OO Red Polar Radars (not vented) on the bike in the drizzle, they suffered steaming, so I'm convinced vented is the way to go for cycling.
I tried on some road prizms back to back with my OO Red Polars in a shop recently. Colours looked similar, but putting on the prizms looked a little like cleaning some mist away. I really like the way the OO Red Polars cut glare so I may get them for my 'locks & wait for Oakley to release the road polars in lock vented because I guess they will do this in time.

IIRC the Prizm Trail / Road sold packaged with frames are vented while all the replacement lenses are not. I don't know why, but that's how they were released. Considering how they can barely keep the regular Road in stock, you may be waiting a long time for vented Road to be available as replacement lenses, so it might be better to bite the bullet and get a complete set (more frames = less lens swapping, anyway) or picking up one of those split from a set.

Latest Posts

Back