• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo 1.0 Restoration Advice Needed...

M+M Custom

Oakley Beginner
Chicago
I have 2 pair of Romeo 1.0 frames that I got the first year that they were out and they have seen better days. I have a pair of X Metal with Grey lenses and a pair of Titanium with Iridium Gold Lenses. The X Metal are in worse shape than the Titanium but I like the Titanium more. Both need new rubber all around and the lenses on the X Metal are shot but the good news is that I have a brand new set of Gold Iridium lenses for the Titanium pair.

Here are my questions,

How could I re-finish the Titanium pair to get them back to looking good? They have some wear on the bridge but are in very good condition.

What is the best replacement rubber? Linegear or another? Do these pieces fit like they are supposed to fit?

What about replacement aftermarket lenses? Are they any good?

What is the Romeo 1.0 pair worth in the current condition, needs new rubber and lenses? I saw that these are very easy to re-finish, would it be worth doing the work and selling them with aftermarket lenses and rubber?

Thanks in advance for your help.

lenses - cut from OEM lenses.

Rubber - linegear fits.

refinishing - still in the works. some methods are out there but expensive

refinishing to resell - doubtful there would be a profit in that.

DONT USE AFTERMARKET LENSES.

I know a little about Romeos and will offer you my opinion...

How could I re-finish the Titanium? You can have them bead blasted (silicone or nut shell) but I wouldnt suggest it even with the wear on the bridge. I would just clean them up as well as you can and let the patina be what it is...

What is the best replacement rubber? Authentic Oakley replacement parts will be the best, more expensive yes but well worth it...
Linegear or another? I purchased some and was NOT happy with them, within 5 minutes they were in my trash can...
Do these pieces fit like they are supposed to fit? Not really, and they feel crappy also...

What about replacement aftermarket lenses? I would suggest you have Dr Chop cut you some custom lenses from authentic Oakley lenses, he has done them for many of us and I have yet to hear a complaint...

I saw that these are very easy to re-finish, would it be worth doing the work and selling them with aftermarket lenses and rubber? If your looking to re-sell then I would just leave them as is, worth a bit less but there are plenty of people willing to take on projects like this just for the enjoyment...

Price wise will depend on true condition and for that there needs to be high detailed quality pictures added to your thread...

You didn't like Linegears stuff Del? People can't stop raving about them on here.

M+M - If you are interested in selling either of your Romeo's I'd love to have one as a rebuild project, PM me with prices.

You didn't like Linegears stuff Del? People can't stop raving about them on her?

M+M - If you are interested in selling either of your Romeo's I'd love to have one as a rebuild project, PM me with prices.

Call me a purist if you like but I never end up putting anything on my shades that is not authentic.

I have ordered from 3 different companies just for personal knowledge and was not happy with any of them....

i just wish someone out there offered some kind of original x-metal refinishing service.

I've got the linegear green set on my titanium romeo 1. I think it's pretty close to factory rubber. That being said, I have extra Oakley rubber sets that I would use on any mint Romeos that I put in my display case.

You could have x-man refinish it in x-metal. Get some lenses cut for them. Wear them for another 10 years.

Latest Posts

Back