• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo 1 late gen serial and box labels

I have just tried scanning some of my barcoded boxes and this is what I found;

App used - Red Laser.

The barcode not being scanned was covered to avoid a mis-reading.

The upper bar code would scan and search for results although it only id'd it as an Oakley UPC code (universal product code).

The bottom one however, could be read by the scanner but wouldn't do a search on it. This is the one that contains the frame serial number.

Here is a pic of it being scanned

Tried to scan it but couldn't. The top barcode works, but the lower one containing the serial won't scan.

My guess is that it's a factory mistake, and the barcode is invalid since it's missing 1 digit. Normally labels are printed incrementing automatically which would mean the entire batch would be misprinted. There should be more examples out there.

Anyway, I decided to keep this pair, matching or not, but I'm still interested in any other examples of this type of R1 label.

i'm almost certain that sticker was not batch generated as it doesn't conform to any Oakley standards. As mentioned before, R1 were never referred to "black". They're either X-Metal or Grey, and some stickers that don't state either would mention "Black lens"

So that appears to be a manually generated sticker and if that's the case, it'd account for the typo of a missing digit.

No matter of the root cause how it happened, I personally wouldn't sell stuff like that claiming a matching serial when it clearly isn't. It'd just cause confusion and disappointment. Some people may not see your sarcasm/jokes of 'matching serial' *hint hint, wink wink* as easily in writing especially when you don't point out the obvious. Just my 2 cents.

I have never taken much note of matching serials before, and was certain this was the matching box and label for the frame, regardless of the missing digit. I thought this is just how they printed the late gen Romeos. My mistake.

If I ever put them up here again, I will clearly point it out, or I'll just sell them on ebay where matching serials isn't a thing.

You wouldn't know these things unless you see a significant quantity of them. You're better off to err on the side of caution and only state things that you know for sure, especially in listings here or otherwise. For example, I see eBay ads claim stainless steel Oakley watches to be titanium. Very ballsy move by seller because disappointed buyers can and will launch a case against the seller. Do that a few times and eBay/PayPal will flag the account for being a dodgy seller.