• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo 1 Lens Cuts

Llohr

Oakley Beginner
I know, there are a bunch of these threads, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in them. Apologies if I just missed it.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, Romeo 1 lenses can be cut from these donors (feel free to add to or correct this list):
Big Taco
Commit SQ/AV
Fast Jacket XL
Jawbone
Monster Doggle
Plaintiff
Racing Jacket
Split Jacket
Ten

What I'm wondering about is: from which of these can polarized lenses be cut without leaving etching artifacts?
Are there any with the right etching curvature and placement to produce a Romeo 1 lens with a good etching?

So if I'm seeing polarized custom cuts for romeo 1 that don't have any etching on them at all, they aren't what they pretend to be? That's disheartening, but at least I don't mind non-polarized (I prefer it if I'm going to be looking at LCD screens :p)

The thing that surprises me most, though maybe it shouldn't, is that there are almost never perfect matches for lenses between one frame and another. Oakley could easily experience a surge in lens sales (most likely followed by a constant higher rate) by making some new shades with lenses that fit x-metals. Even reusing a lens shape in currently produced pairs would translate to higher profits due to having to use fewer templates.

So if I'm seeing polarized custom cuts for romeo 1 that don't have any etching on them at all, they aren't what they pretend to be?
They are either aftermarket lenses or polarized lenses that are no longer oriented correctly for the polarization to work as intended.
The thing that surprises me most, though maybe it shouldn't, is that there are almost never perfect matches for lenses between one frame and another. Oakley could easily experience a surge in lens sales (most likely followed by a constant higher rate) by making some new shades with lenses that fit x-metals. Even reusing a lens shape in currently produced pairs would translate to higher profits due to having to use fewer templates.
Been discussed ad nauseam here, respectfully.

There are are 3 frames that share lenses with one other frame. As far as I know these are the only ones and they are omattter frames.

There are are 3 frames that share lenses with one other frame. As far as I know these are the only ones and they are omattter frames.

I was told that original eye jacket lenses will fit a Jordan Romeo 1, but never seen any proof. Makes sense since they are slightly different from regular R1 lenses. Can anyone confirm?

I hadn't even realized that the "Jordan" Romeo had a different sized lens. That's a bit troubling when it comes to buying a custom cut pair online (which was the template?) but I suppose those doing the cutting know enough to get that sorted.

Am trying to figure out what the issue you think there is with polarization for Customs? I use a Big Taco polarized for Romeo 1 cuts and the polarization is as intended and optically correct for the Romeo Frame. It's just a matter of some measurements and optical tools to align this correctly. Do it all the time for all x-metals except the R2. Of course there is no saving the etching. Any questions please ask.

Latest Posts

Back