• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo 1 Questions

Uluahunter

I should Work at Oakley
Hawaii
Just copped a pair of Jordan R1's and have a couple of questions...

- My pair is serialized with 7462. Would these originally have come with the 'x-metal' engraved lens? If not engraved, is it safe to say that the lenses are aftermarket, or could they still be OEM?
- When the lenses are fitted into place, is it normal to have gaps (roughly 1mm) on the outer edges? The seller I purchased from says that other R1's he's seen in person have all had the same gaps between the lenses and orbital channels.
- If sent to Oakley for a tune-up, what exactly does that entail? I know they change all rubbers and gaskets, but is there anything else? Since the R1 isn't like the Juliet, where a rivet needs to be removed, is an official Oakley tune-up really necessary?
- Any other insights and advice for a new R1 owner?

I've already contacted the seller to let him know about the lens gaps and my concern that the lenses are not original. I don't want to return the glasses (not that that is an option), but rather just want the seller to own up to his lack of knowledge or failed attempt at trying to hide these issues. A form of compensation would be welcomed also, but I don't think that'll happen either.

Please enlighten me with R1 knowledge so I have some solid info to back my arguement with this seller. Mahalo in advance!!!

There is a fair bit of debate as to which R1's are actually classed as "Jordan's". As for the lenses, I do believe all originals will have the X-Metal etching. Regardless of the lenses, you have yourself one beautiful pair of Oakleys right there!! (and a piece of Oakley history!)

I just received my second pair of X-Metal Romeo 1.0's today. Literally minutes before posting this reply. Already thinking about picking up another lol

imho..
R1 jordan have engraved x-metal at the left lens
RomeoJordan.jpg

If your Romeos are 7462 (with no zeros on the front) then they are considered the non-limited edition Jordan Romeo.
ALL Romeo 1 OEM lenses have the "X-Metal" etching on the left lens.
It is NOT normal to have gaps on the outer edges EXCEPT on after-market lenses.
You cannot send in Romeo 1 sunglasses to Oakley for tuneups, they are completely out of parts except for earsocks & templeshocks which you can snag from Juliets.
You can do the tuneup yourself if you have all/some of the parts.
Take good care of them and cherish them!

Congrats!

There is a fair bit of debate as to which R1's are actually classed as "Jordan's". As for the lenses, I do believe all originals will have the X-Metal etching. Regardless of the lenses, you have yourself one beautiful pair of Oakleys right there!! (and a piece of Oakley history!)

I just received my second pair of X-Metal Romeo 1.0's today. Literally minutes before posting this reply. Already thinking about picking up another lol

Yeah, this debate about what is and what isn't a Jordan has got me going in circles, lol! Congrats on your 2nd pair brah, I'm jealous but yet, happy. I'm already starting to think of what I can sell to get the other colorways, lol.

imho..
R1 jordan have engraved x-metal at the left lens

I thought that all true R1's had the 'x-metal' etching on the lower left lens, not just the Jordan's, right? What supposedly validated the Jordan's were the serial #...some say the first 5000 were the only ones considered to be true Jordan's, while others say that only the ones with 4 digits were considered Jordan's and then there's the argument that the first 5000 were 'limited edition' Jordan's and anything after 5000 but within 4 digits (up to 9999) were considered non-limited Jordan's. Did I confuse anyone yet, cause I am, LOL.

If your Romeos are 7462 (with no zeros on the front) then they are considered the non-limited edition Jordan Romeo.
ALL Romeo 1 OEM lenses have the "X-Metal" etching on the left lens.
It is NOT normal to have gaps on the outer edges EXCEPT on after-market lenses.
You cannot send in Romeo 1 sunglasses to Oakley for tuneups, they are completely out of parts except for earsocks & templeshocks which you can snag from Juliets.
You can do the tuneup yourself if you have all/some of the parts.
Take good care of them and cherish them!

Congrats!

Mahalo again Mas! This is one pair that I don't foresee myself letting go, ever. I just need to change the lenses and grab some nose bombs and I'll be ready to rock! Hopefully one day I'll be able to find a sub-5000 pair too!

Okay, so here's the pics folks...if you look closely at a few of the photos, I tried to capture where the gaps are that I'm speaking of. Let me know what you guys think...

DSC03270.jpg

DSC03271.jpg

DSC03260.jpg

DSC03259.jpg

DSC03258.jpg

DSC03265.jpg

DSC03274.jpg

DSC03275.jpg

DSC03276.jpg

DSC03266.jpg

More...

DSC03267.jpg

DSC03276.jpg

DSC03268.jpg

That last pic shows wear I effin' chip the lens in the upper outside corner while trying to properly seat the lens in the channel :mad:! I was planning on getting new lenses anyway, but this only forces my hand sooner...oh well!

Okay, after seeing some pics of a pair of authentic R1 lenses on eBay, I am now convinced that the lenses I have are a bad aftermarket replacement. When I was cleaning the frame, I noticed that the lens channels had a slightly deeper spot on the outside edge on both sides of each orbital, nearest to the hinges. I thought that this must be where the lenses should "lock-in" to fit securely in place, so the lens itself should have a similar same around the leading outside edge. Sure enough, when I looked closely at the pics of the lens on auction, they have a slightly flat edge exactly where I am speaking of. There is absolutely no way that the lenses I have are factory replacements like the seller told me!

Now I'm on the hunt for a pair of OEM replacement lenses and nose bombs! If anyone on the boards has a pair of each to spare, please chime in with an offer. I'm dying to rock my R1's out in the daylight!!!!!

Latest Posts

Back