• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo Addiction,

• Thread starter nightpusher1
  • Start date
No problem. The R1 needs to be sized as loosely fitting as possible with the temple rubbers , ie use the smallest size you possibly can to fit them. They need to be put on and removed like a hat so as not to stress the lenses in the frame during this process, so instead of putting them on from the front like a usual pair of glasses, put them on from the top of your head and remove the same way. The frame is not designed to flex and was found to be the problem for so many customers who incurred cracking in their lenses. Many were returned for an exchange on a different pair to the same value. It will become second nature once you've done it a few times and you will see the benefit straight away as the frame does not have to 'open' up. As for your concerns with movement causing wear I would not be worried as the ti frame is super strong and if anything the screw would be the first to give way. I have never heard of an orbital thread being stripped or worn.

Last edited:
I was hoping that was the answer thank you! I thought it possible the frames are titanium which is stronger than the steel the screws are made from, but stronger to the point of resisting damage from the screws I didn't know. I seem to remember from physics class years ago that titanium is like 60% stronger than steel or something like that. Thanks again! :)

You're welcome. I'm sure the screw are made of pretty sturdy stuff knowing Oakley, but nothing in comparison to the x metal frame which is a titanium alloy, therefore super light and super strong which is good to know. Have a few try's at putting them on and off from the top and you won't stress the lenses. I put all my frames on and off this way, as with the jointed frames. (Juliet etc) you will not stress the rubber too much which prolongues the nose bridge life by x4 I'd guess at least. With the R1 its a must do.

very good info here. goggle-style, i think, is what they call the wearing method you described. asked that myself a few years back. prior, i had to shave my head just to avoid scratching the lenses. it is really just a matter of getting used to it. now i wear all my metals that way....

New problem. I interchanged the parts of an X-metal and Plasma frame to make Ti02 and reverse Ti02 romeos. The reverse Ti02 fits perfectly together but the Ti02 has an issue...the bottom portion of the frame that connects to the center piece won't fit snug, it's just hanging out a few millimeters. I tried it with lenses the problem remains with or without lenses. I got really frustrated and put our which is stronger point to the test...I tried bending the frame to make it fit right..All I succeeded in doing was bending the screw...which I got out, but it's done...What do you recommend I do about this problem with the frame? It sucks...

I would send it or have a word firstly with X Man who may be able to assist you with this issue. Without seeing the frame its difficult to advise, but did the frames sit straight in their original combinations? As all frames are slightly different, fitment issues with others may be common.

Ok thanks I have a dialog going with X-man about it now. He needed pics so I just took some...here they are so you can see what I'm talking about also.

The reverse Ti02 Frame fits fine:
IMG_0271_zps8efd442a.jpg

The Ti02 frame is messed up on the bottom left where it should be snug and flush:
IMG_0269_zps7858609c.jpg

You can press it together and it looks great, let your finger off it and it goes right back to that...With or without lenses, it stays like that and looks super ghetto. Very frustrating.

In other news, just got Emerald Iridium replacement lenses in mail today for XS Ducati's, installed em, here's some pics!
IMG_0286_zps80b7fb0e.jpg
IMG_0285_zps3fcd22de.jpg
IMG_0284_zps31206e0f.jpg
IMG_0287_zps48ecefdb.jpg

I have not come across this with a standard frame set up and have not personally mixed frames. You definitely will not be able to live with it like that. Does the frame in its original state sit properly together? If it does I would be tempted to leave well alone in this case. I've owned a good few plasma Romeos over the years and have found them strangely to feel larger than the titanium/x metal counterparts. Especially the later 'A' suffixed version which feels huge in comparison and this is with the same rubber set up. I feel there may be an actual size difference in play here which is not going to work out for you. All the best with it though!