• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo Buy Or Not?

• Thread starter marc2040
  • Start date
M

marc2040

Found a Romeo 1.0 on German ebay classifieds.
Description: Both lenses have marks, no box, just what can be seen in the pics.

So what do you think how much is worth? Going rate?
Which replacement lenses and rubbers (orbital gaskets, earsocks and nosebombs) are good and how much are these?

Judging just from the info provided, I'd say $400 would be an average price, anything less would be a good deal...that's assuming that the rubbers are all in good shape and don't need replacing. It's hard to tell what the serial # is, if there is one...that will make a difference also. Having the original lens is a plus in my opinion, even though they may be a little rough (noticed the usual stress cracks). It's tough to find OEM R1 lenses NIB or LNIB for a decent price...even used and damaged lenses are drawing ridiculous prices. Having a total package is a plus.

Aftermarket rubber kits and gaskets are available from Linegear. I've bought kits from them and only have good things to say. Their lenses are one of the better ones, for aftermarket.

I'd start negotiating low and try to find a happy median. Good luck!

Thanks a lot.
I'm not familiar with the metals, because atm I'm just collecting o-matters.
Serial is: 011391
Lenses have to be replaced. Thanks for your hint.

The deal is $ 260 incl. insured shipping.

Thanks a lot.
I'm not familiar with the metals, because atm I'm just collecting o-matters.
Serial is: 011391
Lenses have to be replaced. Thanks for your hint.

The deal is $ 260 incl. insured shipping.

Damn, that's a steal! Grab that as soon as you can! If not, let me, LOL! Seriously, as long as frame is structurally solid, you can pretty much replace everything else. Don't forget to ask about the screws also, some members have bought metals before, only to find stripped screws or other related issues. The serial # isn't too high either. Good deal, now go get it! :cool:

Just noticed he has the coin too...that's a plus!

I paid the Romeo minutes ago.
Typically it takes 3 business days until they are in my hands.
Keep you updated.

Thanks again

I paid the Romeo minutes ago.
Typically it takes 3 business days until they are in my hands.
Keep you updated.

Thanks again

NICE!!! Congrats, can't wait to see more! If you ever want to sell the coin, the R1 or both, and make a small profit, let me know, haha! Anyway, post pics when you get them.

Wow, that's an awesome piece and an awesome price! Hope you love them as much as the rest of us do. They are at the top my my Oakley food chain.

good buy, esp in todays market rate. rubber kits go either original (Oakleynerd has a few left on here) or linegear. Lenses try and get OEM or custom OEM cut. dont buy aftermarket.. its a waste of money.

Now I'm in the same situation like you. Have to bring that metal back to life :smile:
Months ago I bought lenses from exovista (good for the bin) and VL (just ok) and I would never do that again. You are so right ... wast of money.
During the last three weeks I bought to much Oakley stuff and now my pockets are empty, so the Romeo project will take some time.

Here are some closer pics from the seller:

The seller rates 7/10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm in the same situation like you. Have to bring that metal back to life :smile:
Months ago I bought lenses from exovista (good for the bin) and VL (just ok) and I would never do that again. You are so right ... wast of money.
During the last three weeks I bought to much Oakley stuff and now my pockets are empty, so the Romeo project will take some time.

Here are some closer pics from the seller:

The seller rates 7/10.

hey welcome to the restoration club LOL. its a fun journey.

Few notes for you in case you didnt notice -

1. THe lenses look DECENT enough to stay as daily users.. see how it is when it comes but all i see is minor stress cracking (previous owner was careless or had a fat head), but no untoward scratching in the centre where you have to look through, so thats good, in any case, DONT DUMP THEM. those etched lenses are a wicked display lens, and also, use them as template for custom cut lenses.

2. notice in the last picture the arms dont quite cross at the same point. this indicates the frame is either not assembled correctly, or there is a slight twist in the frame. more likely the frames not assembled properly. when it arrives, have your T6 screwdriver handy and i'll be happy to walk you through the pressure points of assembling the Romeo1 properly. it could come down to a misaligned gasket or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back