• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo No. 1 (first Off Production Line) - Value

BNIB- is it in the box that has been opened to verify the product and put back in the box never to be seen again?

Agree! ['Yes!']
You have to verify what you have in order to know you actually have it
Trust, but verify, or call it out like Schrödinger's cat
Either way you have to know to know, you know?

I would go a step further and say that the verification does not take away from the valuation at all. If anything it reinforces and validates that valuation, which results in a valuation equal to or greater than (generally equal to, but you get the point)

Also note LNIB "In the box or display that has been opened to verify the product and put back in the box or display and maintained in like new condition with minimal if any wear and/or for display purposes?" This would be similar to a demo car, still in the showroom, still new, but likely test driven by other, all while in the manufacturer/dealership (owners) possession & under supervision of the same.

As much as we use BNIB & LNIB I know some of us have been surprised at the definition as interpreted by others. I won't say many, but enough to make a deal sour here and there. And not just on eBay/CL/etc... Even here on OF I have had a couple of BNIB pieces that were LNIB at best and a few LNIB that were just plain used. :punish:

If I resold everything I bought I would not have anything, unless there is a caveat for the occasional freebie as a result of a multi-pair deal or something? Maybe that is supposed to be a joke and I don't get it?

I started writing something else, but it ran a little long and I'll need to park it elsewhere...
You would have more money and get everything you want to have. That is the objective of collecting.

You would have more money and get everything you want to have. That is the objective of collecting.

If that is your objective of collecting we have very different objectives, and differing definitions of those words & context.

You kind of lost me at "more money"... with the penny pinchers and the various fees, shipping, etc... By that definition the most profitable collection would be no collection at all. Which brings up another point I disagree with 100% - profit. My collection is a collection, not a business. It has value, but that value is subjective and strategic, based on what I like, and not necessarily fluid at a moments notice (as much as I wish it were at times). I gather things I like, I itemize, I look for similar and related things, it is really very selfish and all about me. My point is that if I wanted to profit I would run it like a business I would do a lot of things differently. First and foremost it would be more about what the rest of the world likes - and is willing to pay for it! - and less about what I like. Other things like inventory/supply also come to mind. I did some of this when I first started collecting, i would get 3 pairs, sell 2 and keep 1... that bleeds into another thread I am going to post momentarily.

Try this?

A Collector may not see themselves reflected in the Collective, but the Collective will see the Collector without fail. I am not sure what that means or why it just ran through my brain, but I think it has something to do with the community and our peers being able to tell a Collector from a Seller. Yeah, that's probably it...

To each their own :)

If that is your objective of collecting we have very different objectives, and differing definitions of those words & context.

You kind of lost me at "more money"... with the penny pinchers and the various fees, shipping, etc... By that definition the most profitable collection would be no collection at all. Which brings up another point I disagree with 100% - profit. My collection is a collection, not a business. It has value, but that value is subjective and strategic, based on what I like, and not necessarily fluid at a moments notice (as much as I wish it were at times). I gather things I like, I itemize, I look for similar and related things, it is really very selfish and all about me. My point is that if I wanted to profit I would run it like a business I would do a lot of things differently. First and foremost it would be more about what the rest of the world likes - and is willing to pay for it! - and less about what I like. Other things like inventory/supply also come to mind. I did some of this when I first started collecting, i would get 3 pairs, sell 2 and keep 1... that bleeds into another thread I am going to post momentarily.

Try this?

A Collector may not see themselves reflected in the Collective, but the Collective will see the Collector without fail. I am not sure what that means or why it just ran through my brain, but I think it has something to do with the community and our peers being able to tell a Collector from a Seller. Yeah, that's probably it...

To each their own :)
I was trying to convey an opinion to another, not trying to get into and arguement with you sir.

No, no argument at all whatsoever and no offense taken, so I hope none was given on my part? I honestly don't follow that method of collecting you are describing. I was simply trying to explain mine. Its all good :)

No, no argument at all whatsoever and no offense taken, so I hope none was given on my part? I honestly don't follow that method of collecting you are describing. I was simply trying to explain mine. Its all good :)
Were good.

See, I have mentioned this before. I have personally seen items opened at HQ where the WRONG item was inside the box. Multiple times on a single occasion if you can actually imagine that happening.
So BNIB can have a certain meaning to someone where to someone else it can be different.

BNIB- is it in the box that has NEVER been opened?
BNIB- is it in the box that has been opened to verify the product and put back in the box never to be seen again?

I myself consider BNIB to the the second mainly because you NEED to open that box to verify the contents match that label. Imagine opening a box for the very first time after 15-20 years and finding a pair with a totally different lens or even frame inside the box? Still it is BNIB but it's the WRONG product as it does not match the label.

That's one inconsistency about you that's never really made sense to me -

You stated this before, that mispackaging can happen and that one should always verify that the product in the box actually is what it's supposed to be.

But you've also several times said that you don't like to open sealed boxes, that many of yours have never been opened (easy when you buy three of everything...)

Maybe a case of "do what I say, not what I do"? :D

That's one inconsistency about you that's never really made sense to me -

You stated this before, that mispackaging can happen and that one should always verify that the product in the box actually is what it's supposed to be.

But you've also several times said that you don't like to open sealed boxes, that many of yours have never been opened (easy when you buy three of everything...)

Maybe a case of "do what I say, not what I do"? :D
I know what you mean. :)

There are certain things that have not been opened such as watches and a couple of other things which would be very hard to place the wrong item inside the box.

It has been joked around that a brick could be inside some of these boxes and I would never know. ;)

Certain items are taken with faith that they are what they are. Ya know?

I think a better way to describe the condition of items would be mint, near-mint, etc. and/or the number system (10/10).
2 items both in bnib "condition" could very well have very different conditions (factory defect, etc.)
while 1 mint new item and 1 mint used item have a better chance of having similar if not the same condition (mint)
personally, I would only consider something brand new if I bought it direct from a retailer. everything else is pre-owned. although some might argue that a sealed in box can be considered as brand new; I am and I am NOT going to agree/disagree with them. ;)

however, we sometimes have to follow the norm so more people can understand so I guess bnib (which should really be lnib at best) is here to stay.

Last edited:
Back