• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo No. 1 (first Off Production Line) - Value

I would only consider something brand new if I bought it direct from a retailer. everything else is pre-owned.

Good point, but even so retailers have resold and will continue to resell returned and opened items. Even items from their display cases that were violated by people who knew not how to handle them properly (funny how people sometimes don't care for things as well when they are not theirs LOL). Anyway, who's to say that 'new' pair from the retailer is any better than the minty pair I have?

I think the best way to describe these pieces is using a combination of BNIB/LNIB/etc... with a number. When I see "BNIB" or "LNIB" with no additional qualifiers I presume the item is a 10/10, which is risky bordering on naive :oops: - shame on me!

Good point, but even so retailers have resold and will continue to resell returned and opened items. Even items from their display cases that were violated by people who knew not how to handle them properly (funny how people sometimes don't care for things as well when they are not theirs LOL). Anyway, who's to say that 'new' pair from the retailer is any better than the minty pair I have?

I think the best way to describe these pieces is using a combination of BNIB/LNIB/etc... with a number. When I see "BNIB" or "LNIB" with no additional qualifiers I presume the item is a 10/10, which is risky bordering on naive :oops: - shame on me!
I totally agree. that's the whole point of my post. brand new is simply not a good way to describe the condition of an item. a demo car (used for test driving, no previous owner) is technically brand new.

I totally agree. that's the whole point of my post. brand new is simply not a good way to describe the condition of an item. a demo car (used for test driving, no previous owner) is technically brand new.
And you would definitely NOT want that demo car after I finished driving it. :eek:

I think it would be great if we had a standard rating nomenclature to identify and categorize... Nothing fancy, and nothing a lot of us don't do already, just a 'recommended' approach to summarize the condition of said item and/or its components. Something like:

[(NEW | BNIB | MINT | NWD | LNIB | DISPLAY | USED | POWN), x.y/10]
! *where "x" and "y" are integers ranging from 0 to 10, with "y" being optional

The definitions for the primary classifier could go:

NEW = BNIB (Brand New in Box) = MINT = As new as new gets, not pre-owned, direct from retailer with no previous signs of wear and all original packaging & accessories

NWD = New With Defects = Also new, but damaged or missing parts, not previously owned or displaced. This could be helpful, especially for rare pieces that are still sought after in mint condition but less than complete or may have 1 scratch on a lens or a mark on the frame

LNIB (Like New In Box) = An item that has been previously owned, still in new condition with all original packaging & accessories

DISPLAY = An item that has been opened and on display. This includes items on display for retail purposes and personal collections. This is a special category to cover those items that have only been subject to display purposes with the understanding that they may have been worn and 'test driven'. Further details regarding where the item was displayed, for how long, and its handling while being on display would be expected

USED = POWN (Pre-OWNed) = Anything already opened and used for any period of time not included in one of the categories above

Ex: (A, B, Note)
NEW, 10/10, Never opened
BNIB, 10/10, Only opened for verification
MINT, 10/10, Only opened for verification and put on private display
NWD, 10/10, Missing paperwork and spare rubber
NWD, 9.5/10, Complete with one scratch on the left (etched) lens
LNIB, 8.8/10, One owner complete with some play in the nose and mild cleaning marks
DISPLAY, 9.5/10, Retail display piece with slight cleaning marks on lenses
USED, 7/10, Clean frame with slight play in nose and swirls/scratches on the lenses
POWN, 4/10, Marks on frame, needs tune-up and lenses

thoughts?

I think it would be great if we had a standard rating nomenclature to identify and categorize... Nothing fancy, and nothing a lot of us don't do already, just a 'recommended' approach to summarize the condition of said item and/or its components. Something like:

[(NEW | BNIB | MINT | NWD | LNIB | DISPLAY | USED | POWN), x.y/10]
! *where "x" and "y" are integers ranging from 0 to 10, with "y" being optional

The definitions for the primary classifier could go:

NEW = BNIB (Brand New in Box) = MINT = As new as new gets, not pre-owned, direct from retailer with no previous signs of wear and all original packaging & accessories

NWD = New With Defects = Also new, but damaged or missing parts, not previously owned or displaced. This could be helpful, especially for rare pieces that are still sought after in mint condition but less than complete or may have 1 scratch on a lens or a mark on the frame

LNIB (Like New In Box) = An item that has been previously owned, still in new condition with all original packaging & accessories

DISPLAY = An item that has been opened and on display. This includes items on display for retail purposes and personal collections. This is a special category to cover those items that have only been subject to display purposes with the understanding that they may have been worn and 'test driven'. Further details regarding where the item was displayed, for how long, and its handling while being on display would be expected

USED = POWN (Pre-OWNed) = Anything already opened and used for any period of time not included in one of the categories above

Ex: (A, B, Note)
NEW, 10/10, Never opened
BNIB, 10/10, Only opened for verification
MINT, 10/10, Only opened for verification and put on private display
NWD, 10/10, Missing paperwork and spare rubber
NWD, 9.5/10, Complete with one scratch on the left (etched) lens
LNIB, 8.8/10, One owner complete with some play in the nose and mild cleaning marks
DISPLAY, 9.5/10, Retail display piece with slight cleaning marks on lenses
USED, 7/10, Clean frame with slight play in nose and swirls/scratches on the lenses
POWN, 4/10, Marks on frame, needs tune-up and lenses

thoughts?
Looks great but lots of stuff to remember. but good.

the current system, although not perfect, seems to work fine. the important thing to keep in mind is: being brand new does not equate to being mint. always ask for specifics and try to get thorough descriptions when buying. something I'm sure everybody here knows already

Last edited:
This thread took wings. I didn't expect it to develop into such an interesting and informative discussion, particularly around 'rating nomenclature'! Thanks to all and I'm about to bid for my lowest serial Juliet (TiO2) so far. Sadly it's around the 4,000 mark. In 4,000 purchases time, and with a lottery win, I'll be in the running for that Juliet No.1-10.

This thread took wings. I didn't expect it to develop into such an interesting and informative discussion, particularly around 'rating nomenclature'! Thanks to all and I'm about to bid for my lowest serial Juliet (TiO2) so far. Sadly it's around the 4,000 mark. In 4,000 purchases time, and with a lottery win, I'll be in the running for that Juliet No.1-10.

Good luck with the auction.

Dann has #11

Latest Posts

Back