• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo question

R1 Jordans have a different shape lens, specifically a positioning "bump" similar to Mars, IIRC.

I've heard of the incompatibility of R1 Jordan lenses vs. other R1 lenses, and the well-known minor variance found with x-metal frames in general, but I haven't heard of two totally different lens shapes for non-Jordan R1s. But @xmetalmaniac is an authority on the subject; hopefully he'll chime in and clarify...

R1 Jordans have a different shape lens, specifically a positioning "bump" similar to Mars, IIRC.

I've heard of the incompatibility of R1 Jordan lenses vs. other R1 lenses, and the well-known minor variance found with x-metal frames in general, but I haven't heard of two totally different lens shapes for non-Jordan R1s. But @xmetalmaniac is an authority on the subject; hopefully he'll chime in and clarify...
Verying slightly is a difference in shape, more so when you spend 100 on lenses that don't fit lol ;)

The positioning bump is absent on a Jordan lens and the orbital appears fractionally tighter.

Not every lens produced at Oakley was the same when it comes to the "orbital set" or bump in the lens. In my experience and having numerous OEM R1 lens sets. Not every casted r1 frame was the same either. I have taken OEM r1 lenses and swapped them into a different frame and they literally fell out. The frame orbital was smaller. As with the Juliet's it was the same problem. R1 Jordan's were really not different from the regular R1 minus a four digit serial and red ear socks which didn't have the "Made in USA and the CE" printed on them. As for sizes I have come across two different R1 sizes and three Juliet sizes. This is why some lenses that are cut fit perfect for one frame and are too big or too small for others.

I have purchased OEM lenses that have one lens bigger then the other, won't fit, too loose, etc. problem is not only were the frames casted with poor tolerances but not every OEM lens was not cut perfect either.

From my experience with having owned many R1 sets over the years, I have not seen an OEM lens which does not feature the orbital bump/locator. I also personally have never had any interchanging issues with R1's between sets only with the exception of my Jordan which does not have the bump. Regarding other frames - Juliet, XX etc, I have had issues many times over with fitment so can concur there.

one other thing i like about jordans is the square section arms....

75158cfab7811ce646cbe92a514fa31c.jpg

i would be interested to know when the more rounded profile came into being; at what number did it change? was it sub 10k or after?

Latest Posts

Back