• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo2 Vs Half-X

crusader

Oakley Beginner
Singapore
Hi, can I chez wif u guyz will romeo2 lenses be able to fit into half-X frame? What are the main diff between this two model? Both model are no longer in production? Thank you

Hi, can I chez wif u guyz will romeo2 lenses be able to fit into half-X frame? What are the main diff between this two model? Both model are no longer in production? Thank you

No, different lenses.

A better question would be what do the two models have in common? They're both x-metal half frames, otherwise they're quite different. IMHO R2 is the better design; half X often have hinge problems. But you can't get custom cuts for R2, must use OEM or (shudder) 3rd party replacement lenses...

Yes, both models, along with all other x-metals, are no longer in production.

Half X's fit a lot smaller. They actually hurt my head if worn too long, or worn on top of my head. Finding rubber for the Romeo 2 can be kind of a pain it seems. There are a few people who can do custom cuts. Linegear is actually pretty darn close and fits well into the R2 frame. They both look outstanding. The hinge problem on the Half X is the reason I will never, ever, ever, buy another pair. It's extremely unfortunate cause they look absolutely amazing.

Also, forgot to mention that R2's have the same design as the Juliets in the Nose bridge, so it can get loose and will need tuning up. But it's better to have a pair that is completely serviceable than a pair that can break rather easily that isn't serviceable in my opinion. Not to insult Half X lovers, as I love mine, but am absolutely fearful of wearing them anymore.

I checked with @InfiniteHero and the only x-metals he couldn't do custom cuts for were R2. Presumably that's due to the lack of suitable donors, but I don't know - maybe @xmetalmaniac can do them.

Linegear replacement lenses may look great, fine for display, but stay away from them (and all other 3rd party) if you plan to wear them. The optics are inferior compared to OEM. One could argue the optics are the most important part in a pair or Oaks; it's through them you see the world. Also, 3rd party lenses devalue your Oaks.

Yes, R2s have the "flex-coupler" nosebridge which does eventually need tuning up, but IMHO that nosebridge design is superior from the fit it provides, and @THE X-MAN does tune-ups quickly and reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Tuned up service for x metal is no longer available in singapore. So I guess both model are shelf whores. By mistake I order a R2 lenses for my hx, guess my money is thrown into the drain :(
Why are there still so many bnib hx for sale at low prices if they no longer in production?

Half X doesn't have flex couplers(moving nosebridge), while the Romeo 2 has. And R2 lower half orbital has been cut off. If you are buying, I recommend Romeo 2 as it is more desirable. You also will have trouble finding replacement hinges on the Half X should it wear out or you bought one that is already broken. No offense to Half X fans, but IMHO I consider it a glorified early half jacket with metal frame instead of plastic(same thing with carbon blade, except it has CF).

edit: Hando already said it :)

Tuned up service for x metal is no longer available in singapore. So I guess both model are shelf whores. By mistake I order a R2 lenses for my hx, guess my money is thrown into the drain :(
Why are there still so many bnib hx for sale at low prices if they no longer in production?
It's because of the un-replaceable earstem hinge.
Half-X arm won't open as far as the other arm | Oakley Forum
Half X Worth It? | Oakley Forum
Half X hinge broke | Oakley Forum

Last edited: