• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Roughly a year later: Where does this board stand with Prizm?

has anyone compared a prizm road to a VR28 BIP before?im contemplating on getting a vr28 for driving but after reading this thread im considering prizm road for custom cut..

Yes I have both, and they're both favorites...

Before Prizm came out I would have never put another contrast lens above VR28 BIP. But I actually like the look through Road better. But it's not apples-to-apples - VR28 BIP does better in Texas full-on sun than Road, while Road is better if the sun's less intense, some clouds.

And they're completely different experiences - VR28 BIP is essentially a brown base, just very warm towards red. Road is essentially purple base, but that doesn't accurately describe them because of the prizm thing. Both enhance colors, Road does it better but VR28 BIP handles the brightest light better.

From an iridium perspective, VR28 BIP is the same as BIP, while Road is a flashier +Red look...

If you normally use, for driving, lenses less than 15% trans then VR28 BIP might be the better choice. But if you are good with 15% or higher than go for Road.

Assuming you can't check them out in person beforehand...

has anyone compared a prizm road to a VR28 BIP before?im contemplating on getting a vr28 for driving but after reading this thread im considering prizm road for custom cut..
In my opinion the prizm road didn't do much for me while I was in my car. They are more meant for cycling to tell the difference in the road itself for a better line than to help with everyday driving. But, when riding my motorcycle it's a completely different story. I won't use anything other than prizm road for that. I use an array of lenses for everyday driving but the best I've found is prizm daily. Hope this helps!

I still grab my oo red polar for driving over the prizm Road. The lack of polar limits its use in a car despite the visual clarity of prizm is outstanding when you compare them side by side with old school non prizm lenses.

The snow prizm is totally awesome, even for non snow conditions. They work brilliantly for spotting objects in the sky and picks out haze like you've never seen before

I didn't see a real in depth review for the Prizm golf so I figured I'd give it a try.

I'm an avid golfer and have had multiple pairs of glasses with the g30 lens which was phenominal. I heard how the prizm golf lens was supposed to be like a g30 on steroids and that had me a little skeptical. I bought a pair when the flak 2.0s came out and I was blown away by how it performed. I even went so far to bring my g30 radar locks with me to test the difference and it's a no brainer. The colors that the prizm brings out helps read a green a lot better than anything I've expiriened. The lens aslo helps you track the ball off the tee easier as well. The prizm golf is by far the best lens I have ever used for golf.
I am finding the opposite--I can focus great with my old g30 lenses but have a tough time with the prizms. As a matter of fact I think I am going to get rid of my prizms and get another pair of g30's. I got the prizms in a pair of ev pitch and can't find the g30 to fit--do you know if they make g30's to fit the ev pitch?

I have only one prizm lens, and that is on my uranium Radar EV Path- the Prizm Road.
When I first put those shades on, I could immediately feel a difference and an enhancement in my vision.
As a mountain biker and road cyclist, the prizm was a massive improvement over the old oakley lenses in my opinion.
After showing it to the biggest oakley hater in the world and making him wear it (my bro :eek:) the prizm convinced him to get a pair of holbrooks...
In the other range of prizm, I don't know as I don't own them

Prizm Road is phenomenal for doing what it's supposed to, helping me on my daily cycle road through Tokyo streets to the office. 5.5 miles to and from the office with maximum visual acuity.

Like @kronin323 said, they aren't easily comparable. I've recently been wearing VR28 and VR28 BIP alot in my XMetals (and I love them both) and Prizm Road in my Flaks for daily road cycling here in Tokyo - a lot of clear skies in winter and VERY strong low sunlight.

I love all 3 but...

VR28 - Spring or Autumn maybe. Just need something darker.
VR28 BIP - Oh yes! I would never be able to settle for Black Iridium for this kind of transmission...
But Prizm Road - Such clarity. Can see every deviation in the road surface. Occasional glare when facing the sun. More hours in a day when I can wear this comfortably than VR28 BIP - need to switch to higher transmission lenses sooner than Prizm Road.

I think what I need is Prizm Road Polarized!

Last edited:
thanks for all the advice..if I get a custom cut, what matters next is the price..
I've also learned that prizm road would be comparable to the 00 red polar than the vr28..

Latest Posts

Back